SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dangould_gw

Report on Over Wintering Peppers

dangould
16 years ago

Well I feel like I can make a preliminaty report on trying to over winter peppers.

I split them up into 2 groups. My thought was to keep one group cold but not frozen and not really growing but just in a state of suspension. Well they basically are too cold and it looks like mold might be affecting the plants. of course the roots are cold too. I have them in the attic window. They look close to dead right now. Maybe the plants will remain alive and stage a comeback in the spring. I will try to hold them to the spring and outdoors into the sun and warmth. so a final evaluation is not ready as yet. but so far it looks poor.

the other plants are in the windows around the house with moderate temperature. These are doing much better. They do tend to dry out but the leaves are still alive on some.

I still have a long stretch to summer so this is a very early report. I am disappointed with the attic attempt because I can put more plants in the attic and it is out of the way. but it just does not work.

I will add the footnote that a few tomato plant attempts are having the same result. but with tomatoes I can tell they are dead. Not sure if the peppers can make a comeback from death looking.

I can postulate that the peppers need to be kept moderately warm. Probably the roots need warmth. the leaves just do not like the cold. I would not be surprised if the roots died from the cold and wet when watered.

I do have living plants in the house and no big aphid problems so far. How is everyone else doing on over wintering.

PS

all my plants were growing in pots before bringing them indoors. I did not repot anything. It might help to repot as John does. I am also using outdoor compost soil and not sterile potting soil.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus