SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corporationsrule

Peak Oil+Beginning Balcony Gardener=A lot to learn fast

corporationsrule
18 years ago

This somehow got long winded. If you want to just take a look at my questions they're numbered at the end. Thanks.

I've been very aware of peak oil and its implications for quite a while now, but those implications are so paralyzingly huge I've done little more than add it to the litany of problems I have with civilization and talk people's ears off about it. Also, I made stickers. That hasn't seemed to do much so far.

Recently I've begun putting my money, energy, time...all the same thing really when you're sitting not so pretty in the monoculture...where my mouth is and decided to start preparing, which is no small task when you live in the paved over, aquaduct watered desert that is Southern California. My friends and I have been looking at land in various locations and my parents have decided to buy land on which to retire.

A lot of good that will do though if we don't know what to do with it.

So I've started gardenning on my 20x30 foot balcony. It's one of the best things I've ever done, even if it never comes in handy as a survival strategy. I grew a tomato plant before moving to the house with the balcony last month. I've built a worm-bin, which I suprisingly find myself running my hands through from time to time. I made my mother one for mother's day. She loves to tell her friends her son got her worms.

Last week I built a 30x30 inch by 15 inch deep box out of redwood. I used the ideas I got from Square Foot Gardenning to optimize the space. I just planted some random seeds I picked up on a whim at the local organic grocery store. I didn't read until the next day that it's better to order from catalogs. I plan on making a few larger boxes with vertical structures in the near future.

I also read Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Homescale Permaculture. (I have an ridiculous amount of poorly organized information in my head from reading about gardenning considering I have a week old garden of a little over 5 square feet). Permaculture is definately a rivetting subject especially given my current anarcho-primitivist apocalyptic world view. I'm going to try to build up the soil at my parents house. I'm going to sheet mulch parts of my parents backyard this weekend and plant a cover crop of buckwheat, cowpeas, and possibly yellow clover. My mother is wary. Any suggestions that might help me avoid her ire would be greatly appreciated.

If things go well at my parents I'll be able to plant whatever I want. The problem will be that I won't be able to keep up very well with maintenance because it's quite a drive.

So my questios are:

1) What kind of concrete things can I practice in my smaller balcony spaces? Are there perrenials I could practive keeping going? Are there guilds small enough? the boxes I plan on building will be 2.5x6 feet and get plenty of sun.

2) What would be some good low-maintenence things to practice at my parent's house? Could I plant a tree/shrub guild or two? Or maybe the three sisters guid in Gaia's Garden? Maybe some perrenial vegetables that my mother would be able to take care of?

3) Are there any good Permaculture books that focus on Southern California? I know the place will be a wasteland once they stop pumping in water, but it's where I'm at at the moment.

4) Are there any Permaculture Books/Techniques that will work well in Tropical or Temperate climates that I could still practice in So. Cal?

I'm a afraid that some suggestions will be along the lines of "go look at nature in your area". I'd love to, but they paved over most of it!

Looking forward to some good advice.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor