SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonny117

Using peat?

jonny117
14 years ago

Hi everybody, I'm new to the pepper growing, growing in general, I've helped my mom in the garden in the past though. anyways I have about 15 seedling of various peppers ranging from jalapeno to bhut to tabasco. I started them with one of those germination stations that have a cover and heat pad and had awesome germination! but since have not had any additional growth and still have the two original leaves. When I transplanted the seedlings i took the peat pellets outta the station and put them into the new pots and used the miracle grow potting mix. I found this site http://userwebs.batnet.com/rwc-seed/Pepper.growing.tips.html (link to it at the bottom) that says to use a soil with as LITTLE peat mix as possible and it has pics comparing different soils used in germination and seedlings. my seedlings are by a window that gets some good light and I just bought a light that gives off 5500k color spectrum and 'simulates daylight' according to the package. It has been cold here (San Antonio, TX) so I wonder if they are getting cold next to the window even with me keeping the room at 75. May try a flood light to give em a bit more heat. any thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepper Growing Tips - Don't Use Peat

Comments (8)

Sponsored