SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenie88

Garden organizing

greenie88
13 years ago

My yard is kind of small and but I do have a few spots that receive more than 8 hours of sunlight. I've decided to go whole hog on growing peppers and I have a few seeds I'm already trying to germinate indoors right now. In March/April when it comes time to place them outdoors, I don't want to make the same mistake I made this past summer.

Last year I had 4 bell pepper plants, 3 jalapeno (they ended up not being jalapeno, some hybrid like a small poblano but I thought it was really bitter) and 3 serrano pepper plants I bought at a nursery. Granted, it was too many plants for the patch of ground I used. The bell pepper plants had the best 'sun' position, and grew huge. Two got knocked down in a storm when they were 3 feet tall so the other two got plenty of sun and were prolific. The mystery jalapeno plant had the next best position and grew to about 3 feet tall--but it never really produced anything until the temperatures started coming down in the fall. The peppers never turned red before I had to harvest them before the first freeze. My favorite plants were the serrano--and they were in the worst position for sun. What made it even worse is the the 3 feet tall mystery pepper plants shaded it from a lot of afternoon sun. The serranos never got much above 2 feet tall, and like the mystery pepper plant it didn't produce until temperatures started falling. But WOW did it produce. One plant died soon after transplant (probably not enough sun) but of the other two plants I harvested about a 100 peppers. The serranos were helped when I yanked two of the mystery pepper plants because they were not producing.

What I would like to know is how tall some of the pepper plants I'm starting can expect to be in one growing season so I don't get in a situation where I put my most diminutive pepper in the most unideal spot. The taller the plant, the more sun it will get closer to the sun. I've created 3 4x4 and 2 8x4 raised beds in my yard (goodbye rose bushes, grass) to more thoroughly explore gardening. These are the seeds I started...which ones grow big and which one should I note are small. My seed distributor doesn't really say how big they are.

Kung pao

Big Thai

Aji Limon

Corno di Toro? Italian sweet pepper

Jupiter bell

Pablano

Long slim Cayenne

Red Habanero

Bhut Jolokia

Anaheim

Comments (2)

Sponsored