SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

2011 Grow Lists

13 years ago

I looked around and couldn't find a grow list thread for this year, so I thought I would start one. Might be premature on my part though, since my list isn't 100% nailed down yet. I'll be hosting another pepper seed swap in March, so I may make a couple last minute changes once that's underway.

Last year was my first to grow anything other than sweet peppers, and I discovered there's a lot of variability in heat levels, even on the same plant. When it came time to can salsa, I didn't have enough hot peppers ripe. So this year, I'm going up a notch in heat level, from jalapenos to serranos. Don't think I'm ready for habanero level heat, but if there are other peppers with about the same heat level as a serrano that you think I should include on my growlist, please let me know.

Oh, one other thing my list is missing is a non-hybrid bell that ripens to red, that is good for short season.

Potential 2011 Grow List:

Alma Paprika - 4th year, a must have for homemade paprika

Anaheim - not as consistent heat as I would like, open to suggestions

Ancho Gigantia (or maybe College 64?) - New to me

Beaver Dam - inconsistent heat level, but trying good producer

Black Hungarian - very ornamental and consistant mild to mod. heat level

Boldog Hungarian Paprika - haven't had any luck with these, 3rd year to try

Cascabella - prolific, consistent mild heat, and nice flavor

Chinese Giant - huge bells, stay green a long time

Giant Szegedi - cat ate the seedlings last year, trying again

Gourmet - orange bell

Jalapeno - which variety is the best?

Jimmy Nardello - new to me

Joe E. Parker - new to me

Pasilla Bajio - new to me

Patio Red Marconi - productive, great flavor

Senorita - nice, mild version of jalapeno, wish there was a non-hybrid option though

Soroksari - huge, elongated bells, cream to orange-red

Tolli's Sweet Italian - or other non-bell sweet

It will be another month before I actually start these, so I'll post the official grow list then.

I'd love to hear what everyone else is growing, and why you chose those varieties.

Bonnie

Comments (28)

Sponsored