SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wxman81

Washingtonia Robusta questions

wxman81
15 years ago

I uncovered my washingtonia robustas today as the coldest temperature in the next 7 days is 31F. If I have to recover them for a night or two yet this year I can easily do so. I figure its best if they are out in the open on any days they can be. To all the people from the north that overwinter these, I know some cut the fronds off and some don't. Well, after trimming the dead stuff off of my washingtonia's, the palm looks horrible, especially with the battered fronds. I was considering chopping everything off except the newest frond and the spear. I don't see the difference if I do it now, or if I would have done it last fall.

I know next fall I will be cutting them down as it will be a hell of a lot easier to protect and I don't have to worry about the fronds browning then anyway. This palm is hard to keep green in WI :).

I even remember a few guys from down south that cut them all off before winter too. So let's hear what you guys think. I believe once it grows two or three back it'll look good anyway and that should be by the middle of May. Here are the pictures:

This backyard one got heavily damaged and saw 19.1F do to power issue. I think this one should be hacked down to its emerging frond and spear for sure.

Here's the front yard one. Fronds look kind of beat up and some are only half there after cutting damage off. Wouldn't mind cutting it back either since it has a HUGE frond emerging and another spear.

Plus cutting them down would make it easier to protect if it gets cold again this spring.

Bonus picture, here is my sago palm. Hope it flushes early this year because it don't look happy.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner