SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Fall Planting Season Begins July 1st

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
11 years ago

Somehow the fall planting dates always sneak up on me every year, so I'm posting the linked document as a reminder for us all.

The OSU-recommended fall planting dates for veggies begin July 1st.

The dates on this document are the opposite from the ones on the spring calendar. For fall planting, the earliest date in a range of dates is for those further north and the latest date is for those further south. If you're in central OK, you can choose any date in that date range that you're comfortable with.

If you want to plant something not on OSU's list on the linked document and aren't sure when to plant for the fall garden, ask here about the planting dates because some of us grow other veggies for fall/winter that are not on the list.

If you're looking at a garden that is fully packed with plants and don't think you'll be doing any fall planting or succession planting, there's nothing wrong with that. However, in our hot and normally dry climate, with tons of summer insects on the hunt for something to eat, plants that look stupendously beautiful and are very productive in June often will get pretty stressed, tired and disease- or pest-afflicted by mid or late-July. So, keep an open mind about fall planting and remember to start your own seedlings in advance of the transplanting date so you'll be ready when the dates arrive.

The only issue I have with fall planting in a good year is that I think my tomato plants are fine in June and don't want to start seeds for more because there will not be any place to put them. That's flawed thinking because experience has taught me that spider mites, blister beetles and grasshoppers will hit them hard in June or July no matter how great they look now. It also is likely that with rain falling, fungal and bacterial diseases may hit them hard too. So, I'll be starting some fall tomato seeds soon for transplanting in July.

If you are tired of struggling with cabbage worms on cole family crops and Colorado Potato Beetles on potatoes, you might find little to no insect pressure on them in the fall garden.

I actually find I don't plant a fall garden as consistently as I used to because of the recurring droughty summers we've had in recent years, but I am more inclined to plant a continuous garden--putting in a succession crop the minute a spring crop comes out as long as rain is falling.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Garden Guide

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz