SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mia_blake

Invisible pepper pests?

MiaOKC
12 years ago

Hello all! I have noticed over the past 4-5 days that something is eating the leaves of my bell pepper plants. The plants are about 12-18 inches tall, zip tied to bamboo stakes, and fairly healthy (some of the leaves come out curly, but seem to flatten out as they age) and I recently started seeing buds form - whoohoo!

However, earlier this week, I began seeing circular or irregular holes in some leaves. Looked on and under the leaves and on the stems and stakes, no aphids or pests I can see. This morning, a few leaves are chewed from both sides right to the spine (is that the right word?) leaving a slender leaf stem. Still no visible bugs on the plants when I have looked in the morning and afternoon. I haven't been out at night with a flashlight, that's my next step. Haven't seen any slug trails over there, but probably wouldn't with the mulch.

In general, I've had aphids on the broccoli, lots of white butterflies nearby (cabbage moths?) and tons and tons of roly-polies on top of the soil and eucalyptus mulch. I suspected the roly-polies since I saw them blanketing a fallen elm leaf, but searching the forums seems to show some debate as to whether they will eat live full-grown plants.

Any thoughts or experience with this type of situation? Thanks!

Comments (6)