SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robiniaquest

two tree peony questions from a newbie

robiniaquest
16 years ago

Hi. After years of restraining myself, I finally purchased two tree peonies last spring from a local nursery. I have no idea how old they are, and the people at the nursery knew nothing about them at all.

I planted one in the late spring, and the other sat in it's 5 inch pot all winter until I finally planted it a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe the unplanted one survived the winter in that tiny pot with no watering other than rainfall. It really looks just like it did the day I bought it.

Probolem one is that I planted both of them rather high, with the graft well above ground level. I suppose it might not be too bad to move the recently planted one, but would it be really bad to move the one planted last spring? Would it be better to try to raise the level of the beds they are planted in?

Problem two - this is a bit general, but I know there are several people on this forum who have multiple tree peonies, and I was wondering if anyone could share a little bit about their landscaping schemes incorporating several or many tree peonies. I have wanted tree peonies so badly since I was just a kid, and now that I have two live ones, I am chomping at the bit to take the chance on a few more. My garden space is largely taken up by antique roses (and companions) at present, and I am not sure how to work tree peonies into the mix. I have read as much about them as I can find, but I have never seen a mature specimen in real life, or even very many pictures of them in a garden setting. Would they work in a rose bed, or would that be too much competition? Does anyone have a border/bed of tree peonies that could be explained in detail (e.g., companions, spacing, location, layout, etc.), or maybe photos?

As you can probably tell, I am a bit intimidated by these exotic and expensive plants, and I'm not at all confident about where I planted the two I already have. It's one thing to experiment with roses and lilies and such, which are very affordable, relatively quick to bloom, and easy to move if you make a mistake...but I want to have a better idea what I'm doing before I jump headlong into this more rarefied sort of gardening. Can anyone help the newbie?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living