SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Interesting or cheap local sources for Passifloras in your area?

mark4321_gw
11 years ago

Since most of the discussion on sources has been for mail order sources, I thought it would be interesting if people knew of good sources for plants in their local areas.

I'm in the SF Bay Area, where a variety of Passifloras can be found if one looks in the right places.

Recently, I found a new source I thought I should mention--ProBuild Garden Center in Santa Cruz. I found these plants about a week ago, when they were having a sale on plants from Annie's Annuals. Perhaps they still are. I think their Annie's plants (perennials) are normally $5, but they were having a sale of 2 for $8. I bought these two plants in 4 inch pots: Passiflora loefgrenii and Passiflora actinia:

These are cheaper than at Annie's retail nursery in Richmond, where each of those is $9.95, I think. ProBuild also had P. citrina, if I remember correctly. In one gallon pots they had nice P. 'Purple Tiger' and P. jamesonii/'Coral Seas', each about $10. I think they probably had others.

One of the best sources in the area is Strybing Arboretum (SF Botanical Garden), which has monthly sales (link at bottom). Carlos Rendon brought in an amazing piece of his P. 'Mission Dolores' vine (P. parritae x antioquiensis), and I assume he sold a couple plants. If he had any I'm sure they went quickly.

Most of their Passifloras are $15 in 1 gallon pots, and they usually have a big variety. I did go to a sale or two where they weren't selling any, though. I bought a P. antioquiensis for $15. I don't have a picture of it, and it got damaged by the sun/heat sometime probably in transit home. Here's a picture I took of a P. antioquiensis at the sale in April:

Here is a link that might be useful: Strybing (SF Botanical Garden) sale schedule

Comments (20)

Sponsored