SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Hardiness of Chamaerops (Mediterranean fan) in wet winters

User
16 years ago

I was wondering how forum growers feel about the hardiness of Chamaerops humilis in wet winter, zone 7 climate. I noticed that one I had planted on the south side of my house defoliated and suffered spear pull. I was surprised for a few reasons--

1.) It's been a fairly mild winter (minimimum got down to 11 F. on two occasions, but there were many days in 50's plus).

2.) I had overwintered the same one several years ago, in much worse winter, when it did suffer some burning but came back (had been growing it again as a protected containerize plant until last fall).

Working against it this year was the fact that it has also been an abnormally WET winter (almost all precip has fallen in form of rain). Abnormal wet (and warm) was frequently followed by cold, windy and dry.

When I saw the plant had burned so, I took it out of the ground and moved it to a frostfree location. I have some hope that it may rebud come spring. (Fortunately, I have a second much bigger Chamaerops that has been protected in the garage. Was hoping the smaller guy would make it as the bigger one is getting too big for pot culture (flowered last summer).

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County