SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Might regret planting this

caterwallin
12 years ago

I know you all probably love passiflora and I thought you'd know a lot about them, so I thought I'd ask here. Several years ago I planted Passiflora incarnata in my garden. I think this will be the third year it's in the garden. The first year it didn't do much. The second year it actually grew all the way up the trellis I had for it and I had a few new ones sprouting up and growing along with where the original vine started. I was thrilled! This year I'm not so sure how thrilled I'll be because already I've dug up at least a dozen pieces of it. Some of these are at least 10 feet away from the original location of the plant. I'm not going to put multiple trellises up to accomodate this thing, and I don't want it spreading all over the garden. I like it for the beautiful flowers (although it's not flowering yet here in central PA). I'm already having a heck of a time trying to get rid of Canada thistle and have plenty of other weeding to do that's taking up most of my time that I'm already discouraged. Then to have to deal with another invasive might be more than I can take. I've never had a plant before this (well, with the exception of the thistle) where it has this underground root system that makes plants pop up willy nilly. I even have them coming up in the yard. Oh, please tell me that mowing them off will keep them from spreading all over the yard! I just have too much garden space to take care of to be spending a lot of time on another thing. If this vine will only spread so far and stop, then I might keep it because like I said, I do like the flowers, but I can't be fussing with pulling up plants every day or however much they keep coming up. I might regret having ever planted it. Tell me this, how does one get rid of it if they don't want it? I mean, even if I dig out the ones that are there now, will it keep coming up here there and everywhere for years on end? Sorry if I seem edgy but I seem to be fighting a losing battle with Canada thistle. I've never seen such a horrible weed, although there are probably some out there that are even worse to get rid of. Thanks, and sorry if I offended anyone, but I wasn't sure who to ask about this.

Cathy

Comments (15)

Sponsored