SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salinea

Passiflora Caerulea indoors all year

13 years ago

So in my excitement hunting for plants to put in my apartment I purchased a smallish passiflora caerulea(one of the longer tendrils is maybe 3') that has a lot of developing buds on it and had one flower open (it has since closed though). After doing lots of research (i'm a grad student, it's what I do haha) I've come across too many varying suggestions in its care particularly since one cultivar can have dramatically different needs. I will be needing to keep my plant indoors since I don't have a yard and people like to steal/maim the plants from behind the front gate areas anyway.

Basically, I need to know what extra steps my poor college self will need to take to keep my vine healthy.

Currently I have it in a sort of large southeast facing window that gets a little direct sun for about 2 hours in the morning and then lots of ambient light all day. Is this ok for my plant or do I need to move it to my full sun (currently crowded and often very hot) west facing window?

Also, since it is indoors, the watering requirements will be different so do I need to keep the soil moist or can I just water every monday like I do my other plants? It has a drainage container so if I do over water it has somewhere to go.

Lastly, is it recommended that I fertilize it? and if so how frequently do I use the potash? (some have said they put cut up bananas in the soil)

Actually, one more thing...it's still in the flexible 1.67 gallon pot from the nursery...should I wait a while to transfer it to something bigger since it's so tiny right now?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County