SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Plants that didn't mind the heat and drought this summer

christie_sw_mo
17 years ago

I have a few casualties from our hot dry summer. Some I'm hoping will reappear in the spring (like my painted ferns boohoo).

We got off to a bad start with a dry spring and it didn't take long for me to get tired of watering my plants. Rain is sooo much easier and it seems to make the plants grow much better than the garden hose.

It makes me appreciate my tough plants when the weather is like that. Some things I never water, like artemisia 'Powis Castle' - no flowers but it still makes a nice patch of silvery leaves. Lamb's Ears can usually make it through the whole summer without water but my Big Ears was starting to get some brown leaves and I gave in and watered it. Rose Campion is pretty tough. I think it prefers the dry weather and the flowers are very showy.

Gray leaved dianthus is pretty tough too. I'd like to try some more varieties. This is a double pink one I don't have the name for that I got from a lady that used to visit this forum.

My perennial salvias like May Night can usually go all summer without water but the annual salvias I planted this year were pretty thirsty.

I may have watered my lavender a couple times but I'm not sure it needed it.

I need to plant more toughies like these. What do you have that laughed at summer?

Comments (9)