SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cedardave

Addonnia merelli..christmas palm

cedardave
17 years ago

I have a 3 trunk...now down to two trunk christmas palm. This is its first winter indoors and as expected its struggling a bit. Today I lost one of the stalks. Right after the woody part of the trunk was a squishy part. It had been sending up a new leaf that just never seemed to open and began to brown so I wasnt totally surprised...dissappointed but not surprised. I suppose no more water until spring and hope for more sunlight is about all I can do?

:(

Comments (16)

• liza_jaramillo
    17 years ago

Thats about right. You should let the dirt dry out before watering them. I have some and I watered the twice this whole winter and it looks great.

• orchiddude
    17 years ago

Mine look great too, on the dry side until summer.

• oppalm
    17 years ago

I wonder how many plants (not just palms) are killed each winter with overwatering. I think I'll try to get some grant/research money from the government and do a study.

• edbtz
    17 years ago

To my surprise, I had the same exact thing happen to me this year with my adonidias. I have had them for years in my house for the winter with no problem, but I may have watered this one too much. The other ones in the same pot are doing great though.

• topher2006
    17 years ago

Man i hate that for you dave !
    Overwatering is so easy to do ..
    Good Luck !

• palmpenguin
    17 years ago

ITS FUNNY CAUSE WHENEVER I UNDERWATER MY NEW PENGUIN, HE GETS UPSET. WITH HIM I MUST ALWAYS KEEP WET OTHERWISE HE DIES. PLANTS ARE A LOT LESS PENGUINS THAN I ONCE IMAGINED.

• andyandy
    17 years ago

I agree don't water it much but mist it every day. That will help keep it from drying out without overwatering it.

• subtropix
    17 years ago

I don't know what it is about this palm. I cannot seem to keep one alive. I have dozens of different palm species. NO problems. I have massive Phoenix, Washingtonia, Coco nucifera (said to be difficult in the north), Livistona, you name it. Don't know if I am keeping the merelli too wet or too dry (tend to keep everything on the dry side over the winter). It's become a personal challenge now. Winter temps for it are between 58 and 70 and humid.

• andyandy
    17 years ago

58 is on the cool side, especially if ti's prolonged.

• david_
    17 years ago

Mine have made it though another winter unharmed. Sorry for the junk in the pic I took this picture at night to see how my camera would do in the dark.
    {{gwi:1121116}}

• topher2006
    17 years ago

ANDY

Wow !! Those are beautiful !
    I WANT SOME !!

• subtropix
    17 years ago

The RANGE is between 58 and 72 degrees in the winter. That doesn't seem to be unreasonably cold. It might get to 58 on the coldest days of January as a MINIMUM.

• orchiddude
    17 years ago

My plants get to 50 in the greenhouse and so far, I have had no problem. In fact I have a nice new leaf on all three plants.

• andyandy
    17 years ago

Topher-
    I don't know if you were pointing the picture out to me or congratulating me but those palms are David's. A four and a half foot Christmas palm was one of the first two palms I ever bought. It made it through the first winter but got crown rot over the next summer. I was clueless back then. I might try another one some day.

• orchiddude
    17 years ago

I cant wait until mine get that big, but there is no way I am going to mist them. I dont mist any palm. No reason to.

• florida_wannabe
    17 years ago

By far, and I mean by far, the best performing palms I had over Winter. Every last one I have put on at least two new leafs from October to March and all have high expectations for this Spring.
    Also, I am with Orchiddude, I NEVER mist my palms even thou I am in a 5 and have everything inside in the dry furnace house. I have found at least for me, that the risk of loseing a palm to dry air far exceeds the likelyhood that a palm dies from misting waters getting into the spear. At least thats what happens in my house. Everybody is different thou.