SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amethystfaery

New Cat Palm but came with pests and Browned Tips

amethystfaery
14 years ago

Hi all :)

I bought a beautiful cat palm from the "wonderful"(sarcasm lol) world of wal-mart .

However I did not realize until I brought it home it also came with an extra gift of the dreaded spider mites =(

There are holes in some of the leaves and spotting from these bastards as it is. I have been spraying it with water 3 times daily and have done the dish soap method spray twice (each spaced a few days apart.) I thought maybe I had nixed them but when I took palm into the bathtub/shower last night for a watering and wash down of the leaves I found one crawling on it (and I am sure if there is one...)

Does anyone know what I can use to eradicate these buggers? I heard that Plant Vita+ is a miracle when it comes to this stuff but they only sell it in U.K, it seems, and so far I have been unable to find a vendor that ships to The States.

Finally, the brown tipping is on several leaves, including on the top. I heard this could be caused from underwatering or overwatering.

Being that it came from wal-mart and it was dry when I bough t it, I can probably guess in this case underwatering.

Those of you with you healthy cat palms, how often do you water? //what is the soil like when you do so.

There seems to be alot of conflicting information on this.

Thanks! :)

Comments (5)