SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
very_blessed_mom

An old-timer turned organic

very_blessed_mom
15 years ago

We went to a family reunion last weekend in southern OK, a place called Girty in Hughes county to be exact. I was sitting under the shade of an old tree watching the kids play and overheard some great gardening discussion. The older generation men had gathered not far from me and were talking about their gardens. One took over the conversation saying he'd tried the recommendations of a truly organic fella that didn't use chemicals in any way shape or form if at all possible. Not for pesticides, fungicides or fertilizer. The tone of his voice was like can you believe that? (I immediately thought of Dawn, except he said fella). He said for the last 2 yrs at the recommendation of this organic guy, he's been applying 300 lbs of alfalfa meal, 200 lbs of corn meal and 100 lbs of powdered molasses. All you had to do was skatter it by the handfuls and till it in a bit. He went on to explain how he was putting back in nutrients that gardening takes out of the soil and how he thought it all worked. He said the organic guy told him you couldn't overdo the alfalfa or corn meal, but you had to be careful on the molasses. It was just the best eavesdropping I've ever done. I can't really describe how entertaining it was to listen to him explain everything in such a way to these other older men so that they wouldn't think he'd gone nuts became some sort of hippie. He told them he's had the best garden since he's started doing this than he'd had in years. He kept saying how skeptical he was at first and how nervous he was when he went to the feed store and ask for powdered molasses. He quickly added they said "sure we have it -- what are you wanting it for, your garden?"

Anyway, I just thought it was worth sharing. I don't know if the quantities he mentioned are good amounts or how large of a garden he had. I hadn't heard the molasses part, but there is something about it in the FAQ "Where can you get Cheap Natural Fertilizers and Soil Amendments?" of GardenWeb

Jill

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus