SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slowpoke_gardener

Patato flop and onion/garlic questions

slowpoke_gardener
11 years ago

I planted 5 lbs. ea. of yukon gold and Pontiac red. Only 5 of the yukon gold came up, the Pontiac started looking sick a week or two ago, when I dug them today several were rotting. I did not use sulfur or anything else on them, could that have anything to do with the rotting?

ELEPHANT GARLIC, I have never grown garlic of any kind. Last year my neighbor gave me a few bulbs of Elephant Garlic which I grew and stored in the shed. I split them apart and planted them again about Oct. They seemed to do OK but all bolted, but if I remember correctly they did last year also. I did not eat any of last years garlic, I just saved what little I had and planted again this year,so I am assuming this garlic will be ok to eat?

ONIONS, I feel I am doing better on onions even tho I have only grown them a few times. I still feel I need to feed and water them more.

EGYPTIAN WALKING ONION, George was very kind and sent me a start of Walking onions and they are doing well. I really need someone to tell me how to harvest, save and use this type of onion, do I save and use the little onions on top?

Are they for fresh eating, or is it best to use them for cooking? Will these die down when ready to harvest, and do pull them out of the ground or just harvest the top bulbs?

Thanks, I know it is a lot of questions but this is a new area for me.

Larry

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus