SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropichris

coconut.....my beloved coco is...dead

tropichris
15 years ago

well...the end of my favorite kind of palm...I had it for two years. Misted it every day. I had it in a bright spot. it was in a Big clay pot (no rhyme intended). It was growing in beach sand and lots of potting soil. Now the fronds are dead, brown and crispy. most of my "dead" plants have made a major comeback. I guess ill keep it for awile, just to see if it doesnt come back...Anything ive done wrong? please tell me it is not dead!

Comments (8)

• chachacharlie
    15 years ago

I have a potted, indoor coconut too. I've had it in the same pot and same soil for 3 years now and it's still growing. Last year it got hit pretty bad during winter with extremely low levels of light (San Francisco) and cold temperatures - I had to leave for 10 days and my place got kinda cold. Upon returning, I found my coconut almost dead, all leaves brown and crispy, I thought it was dead or soon going to die. Well it didn't. I provided LOTS of heat and lots of light, not only natural, but supplemental. It came back and it's now doing great. I've now mixed in some new soil and sand and I mist it, although it is not necessary to do so every single day, believe me, it's not. As long as you keep the place warm and you give it tons of light and don't let the roots get wet and cold, it should be ok. The whole misting thing is overrated. It's good to do it twice a week to keep dust and mites away, that's it. So, warmth and light, and if it's too dry water it a little, just don't flood it - especially now in winter unless your place is 70+ degrees. Hope this helps dude. Good luck and let us know!

• david_
    15 years ago

To wet kills as many as to dry. Im not sure what is killing it or has killed it but well drained with humidity and warmth,sunlight are the major things to keep it happy.

• seamommy
    15 years ago

Check the roots and I'm a believer in the misting thing, my little banana palm loves the mist. In winter the house gets so dry because of the heater I mist all my indoor plants nearly every day. Something else I tried in 2006 was to put a couple of red wigglers in the pots. They seem to make the soil a little more porous and I've had no plant fatalities now for two years. When I repot, if my wiggler has gotten really large, I replace him/her with 1-2 smaller ones. Just a thought-you can get them at any bait shop. Cheryl

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    15 years ago

Two years ago a post of of Coconut palm grown in a home in Seattle for--18years!. It had a few feet of trunk and was like a little bro to an outdoors coco.I saw the photo proof.
    They may not be easy and its difficult to not over or under something year after year,but it can be done.

• tropichris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks guys, but today my big dog( female golden retrevier+ male yellow lab+ "Love"= BIG, HUGE, BEHEMOTH dog, he is 3 and a half feet high on all fours and almost 5-6 feet tall when standing on two legs, y'know, when they try to get food up high and have to stand on two legs to get it) snapped my coconut, so if it wasnt dead than it is now...JOY.oh well, during spring of this year im going to the Florida Keys, so maybe ill snag a live coco off of a tree or beach. Keys, here I come!!!! :-D

• delaware_paradise
    15 years ago

Good luck with hunting for coconuts in the Keys. If you travel by car you could stop by a nursery and buy a nice sized coconut tree cheap because they grow so fast and easily there.

• coconut_palm
    15 years ago

Hey tropichris,

Be careful not to overwater coconut palms in the winter. As stated above, they don't like to be cold and wet. Misting twice a week should be plenty for them. You don't want the bud to stay damp. I have a coconut sprout that appear to have died in the same manner as yours, and I have a lot of experience with coconut palms. Some sprouts are weaker than others, but one thing that sure seems to finish off the weaker ones I have found is keeping them too damp in the fall and winter when the weather is cooler. I used to just check the top layer of soil by pushing my finger down into it about an inch or so to see if it is dry and then water it if it is. Now, I check at the openings at the base of the pot, because many times the top layer of soil will feel dry, while the bottom layer where the roots are is still very damp. So now I only water when the bottom of the soil feels dry too, since coconut palms like most plants don't like to be wet all the time.

• david_
    15 years ago

tropichris if you are traveling to the keys and driving through fl and take 27 you can stop by and hopefully by then ill have mature ones on my tree. If not I'm thinking you will probably find one on a beach and if not all home depots have them for $12 for a 1 gallon that's usually ready for a three gallon.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio