SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_3872244

Will Autumn Joy recover from aphids?

User
16 years ago

I didn't pay enough attention to two Autumn Joy sedums in a large planter, and they were over-run by blue-green aphids. By the time I noticed, the lowest leaves were yellow, shriveling, and dropping. Ants all over the aphid honey. It took several treatments with dish-soap-water to get them somewhat under control. Rain kept washing it off.

Now they look awful. No lower leaves - little knobby naked legs. Will they recover? Should I cut them back or let them grow? Will it kill them to be cut back this time of year? Are they already dying from the aphids?

I don't like pesticides much - but should I spray something on the rest of the stuff in the planter? Nothing else seems affected - other sedums, hens-n-chicks, calendula, monarda, BES, marigolds, columbine.

This poor sidewalk planter took a beating last winter and I think road salt and/or wind killed two St John's Wort and a lamb's ear. Might winter damage have made the sedums more susceptible to aphids?

They were so beautiful last year - I feel so guilty for not seeing the bugs sooner.

Comments (10)

Sponsored