SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
us_marine

sad day today... :/

us_marine
11 years ago

Well both of my coco's are now officially dead.... I have up rooted them for the most part and threw them in a plastic bag and off to the garbage they go. :/

What should I do with the soil and containers? I'm sure both palms were infected with some kind of fungus but the roots seemed fine. Actually for the most part they were still alive and really strong. On both palms even the one outside. So obviously no root rot lol.

It makes me sad having to throw away my oldest coco. it was doing so well up until I bought the infected palms. All the fronds have pretty much died already. And anything that has some life is half dead and it wont be long before its completely dead.... All the stems died first on the remaining fronds. Weird. But When I cut it back hoping the spear might still be alive I found a white fungus deep inside on the stems. I did see some alive parts from either the spear or the newest frond that never did fully open but even so it was so far down in the trunk I do not think it would have survived. Especially because it had brown spouts on it as well :/ The roots are just fine and strong. Only other thing is how easily the shell popped off. And in the shell and roots it was infested with a nest of ants.

Anyway not sure when but probably the next time I see a coconut palm or when it warms up I am going to buy another. One last try until I can build a green house. But before I buy what variety do you guys think will do best in a dry climate and is most cool tolerant? So far a tall if I can find one sounds the best. Anyway what fungicide works the best? I have yet to find copper. If whatever it was that killed my coco's returns I want to be able to combat it. One last question, if this is only a fungal problem for palms how long can it last with out a host? I'm kinda worried the spores can survive longer than I want...

On a good note... I did see a few lady bugs and bees out so warm weather shouldn't be too far.

Thanks,

-US_Marine

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor