SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexander3_gw

First Japanese Beetles of the season :( Control ideas?

alexander3_gw
18 years ago

Hello,

Yesterday evening I saw the first Japanese Beetles of the season on my elderberry, and then a couple on a raspberry plant. I squished them all.

My main strategy last year was to patrol the yard in the morning after work and pick them off into a jar of soapy water, but they still caused a lot of damage during the day.

I found that spraying my young elms with Sevin was very effective for several days, or until it rained. I don't consider this an option for the fruiting plants though. Also, in a couple years, spraying the elms will no longer be practical as they grow in size.

I plan on applying milky spore to the lawn this summer, but who knows how many adults will come over from the neighbors' yards? I'm also adding plants around the yard that will hopefully attract beneficial insects, including those that reportedly parasitize JB adults.

I'm not anxious to apply grub killer to the lawn....the infestation is not so bad that the lawn is visibly damaged, and I've read that grub killer also zaps the firefly larvae.

Last summer I read anecdotal evidence that JBs like to eat 4 o'clocks (an annual flower), but that it is toxic to them, so they die. I don't know how reliable that is, but I've planted some this year.

By all accounts, the pheremone traps simply attract all the JBs in the neighborhood to your yard, and I don't think my yard is big enough to just try to attract them all to an unused corner.

Any clever ideas out there on JB control?

Alex

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH