SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

End of July already! Garden notes July 27th -

christie_sw_mo
16 years ago

It's hot but there's so many things blooming this time of year, it almost makes in tolerable.

Coneflowers are still blooming but starting to look ratty. Will they rebloom if I dead head them now? I'd rather leave the seed heads for the birds unless I will get another round of flowers. I've enjoyed watching the goldfinches going after my sunflowers this summer. I had several volunteers this year from my bird seed and the goldfinches don't even wait for the petals to dry before they start pecking the seeds out.

Some annuals I'm trying this year that are new for me:

Cuphea - I like this stuff. It seems to be taking the summer heat pretty well so far and always covered with blooms. It hasn't grown a LOT but is spreading out some.

Gazania - Lots of flowers but it always has more dead flowers than live ones. They must not last very long. I was trying to keep them dead headed for awhile but gave up.

Portulaca - Seems to be pretty tough but I'm not getting very many blooms.

One of my new penstemons, 'Blue Buckle' kicked the bucket already. I was hoping it would be perennial and it wasn't even annual for me. : ( I didn't get to see it bloom at all. I bought two other penstemons that are doing great though. One is Pikes Peak Purple and I can't remember the name on the other.

Do you have plants that weren't very impressive at first but you like them more every year? I bought a clethra 'Ruby Spice' several years ago and it seemed to have such a short bloom time at first and I didn't think it was very fragrant like other people claimed. Well, it smells WONDERFUL this year. I really enjoy walking past it every day.

There's not much rain in the forecast, just a slight chance tonight. I'm trying to keep everything watered. I had to buy a new sprinkler yesterday. My son said "Is that for ME?" lol I said sure but you have to share with my plants.

Is everyone keeping their Off handy? We have a few more mosquitoes than usual this year. Something was flying around our front yard just as it was getting dark last night and my daughter is sure they were bats. They were definitely going after flying insects and it was fun to watch them.

Ceresone - How are you doing? I haven't seen you post for several days I think.

Comments (6)