SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
longaeva54

Yucca Rostrata

longaeva54
12 years ago

Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden in zone 5 or 6 ?

{{gwi:472053}}

Comments (410)

• sasha64
    6 years ago

This is just for 'Jimhardy' just to tell you this??? Yr or in IOWA don't think but guess from YOUTUBE I know you nice videos I apprrciate???? This is a friendly FORUM we r in zone 6???? Ok?? We r few here NOT TO RACE each other??? We r few friends here on Forum in zone 6 or maybe 7 but we're learning from each other ! NOT TO RACE if you understand! This Forum IS NOT for you Jimhardy!!!!and all my friends were in circle here???were trying something to grow here not TO SHOW OUR SELFS???? You don't need to show yrs maybe somebody of us has better than you hardy???? We're not taping everything how you do! But... I'll tell you something ?? Don't RACE!!This is Not yr Forum!!!yr YouTube guy! We're not!Anyway we can grow more than YOU!! Tropicals meansss!with my best friends from this Forum wish the best growing for them..timbz6...miketropic and especially my poaky1.. Sorry guys just can't get this people comming an show themselves ! Yeah they're better?????? In growing to show??I didn't show Jimhardy mine???? On YouTube of course??? I have more than he has! Just not on video and we're on zone 6 not like Him ???? Sorry guys, my friends for this I just can't stand this people! To Show them selfs!!!!

• sasha64
    6 years ago

And Jimhardy?? In this Forum we don't need websites just pictures or videos????? You know???

• Related Discussions

Yucca Rostrata

Q

Comments (23)
    Hi Tom. I Just got some Y. Rostrada today (5 gallon) and it got dark before I can put it in the ground. I don't have your dilemma; I am in Az. I feel your need to put it in the ground. These mature plants are absolutey stunning when they reached 6 feet or taller. I have an idea for you. Plant it near a south wall of your house. This should receive the most sun exposure during the winter month and your brick wall should radiate some heat to protect it. You can always erect some temporary shelter and cover it if needed. Good luck.
    ...See More

Yucca Rostrata Questions

Q

Comments (14)
    I've had one growing in my backyard for about 5-6 years (Z-5 Denver). It is nearly 10 feet tall and thriving. We've had a couple of -20 events with no problems. It is situated in direct sun and loves every minute. This originally came in a #20 size pot and cost $350 wholesale. I dug a hole about 3 times the size of the root ball and was careful to ensure it rested on solid soil and planted it about 2-3 inches higher than it was growing in the container. Because of the cost, I placed heating cables around the sides of the planting hole and secured it with landscape pins. I didn't water it once during the first winter and have never had the heating cables on again.
    ...See More

Feeding Yucca Rostrata

Q

Comments (7)
    They are super strong plants. Mine was attacked by pest this yr. And is in recovery now too. When you have a chance I would switch your soil to a gritty mix. A quick google search will get you the proper mix. I use a custom mix of bark chips, builders sand and pea gravel only because those ingredints are easy to come by.
    ...See More

WANTED: Yucca rostrata , yucca elata, seedlings or seeds

Q

Comments (1)
    Have yucca seseds but not sure what species. email susan@wizzasmum.freeserve.co.uk
    ...See More
  • sasha64
    6 years ago

And poaky??? You don't have to comment to this guy!? We can't be like him!! But maybe we r already! I'll sent him a flag on his YouTube Chanel !!

• sasha64
    6 years ago

Jimhardy??? How you can post on this Forum if You don't know the name?????

• sasha64
    6 years ago

The thing is??you jimhardy can have anything tropicals just built another House Over it??? But working WITH minimal protection it's??????? To make them grow without it every winter! That's what we're trying to do ! And they will grow better Than in yr area???!!!!'maybe in a few years or so! Will make them grow!!!

• alexbyrne44
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all! I purchased a Y. rostrata today and was wondering what I should do with it during the winter as it is still in its pot. I believe it's too late to plant outside and don't know if it will be okay outside all winter in a pot. Should I bring it inside a garage (no windows) or protect it outside (place under the deck)? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I live in a zone 6b/7a Hamilton, Ontario

• poaky1
    6 years ago

Alex, i'm going to say that it should be fine if you plant it in the ground and maybe mulch it for insulation, but, keep excess rain and snow from adding too much water to the rootzone, so maybe cover it with a clear cover, or a cover that may not even be clear. I myself have a clear but open on the side shelter. just the top is covered by clear panels on my yucca Rostrata, and 2 other desert plants which I can't rememeber now. You can see my and sashas plant covers way above in this thread or subject. Sashas covers are enclosed mine are open on the sides, I hope they are good enough.

Sasha, I must admit that I have posted things on here that were rude in the past ( on other forums) because of me being kinda drunk, so I really can't get mad at jimhardy. You haven't done anything like that so you have more of a right to say things to him, but, I really have been a ornery pain in the butt to many Gardenwebbers in the past.

I was thinking maybe even jimhardy was drinking and that's why he posted that about "what forum is this" and alluding to it being "bullshit". If that's it maybe he'll post that he is sorry that he was drunk. Maybe not .

• longaeva54
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello Timbz6, I enjoyed viewing your yuccas on Youtube. Do you have seeds for sale? Yuccas

• poaky1
    6 years ago

Hi Sasha or anyone visiting this thread, my Y. Rostrata is rotting, every time I get a cover on it, it gets blown off, or cracks, too much rain/snow. But my Recurvifolia and the other broadleaf Yucca are fine with the extra moisture, maybe some pale margins until it dries up a bit, but, still doing fairly well, anyone have any updates? It may be too early, I still have my palms covered and lights coming on when it gets 25F for 1 and 35F for the other. Hope everyone has plants still alive, mine are covered so I just HOPE they are still hanging on, I have a Windmill palm and a Needle palm, later guys, I'm thinking late April to take covers off in zone 6, anyone in zone 5-6 Sasha or others can tell me when to uncover? Good luck to us all.

• sasha64
    6 years ago

Poaky1 and everybody here on Houzz.. I've lost you guys never go this!! Everybody I'm in the few different groups better then Houzz! It is thru Facebook called "Zone-Pushers: Gardening Beyond Your Zone" its better and a lot of friends like us in the northern state! A lot to learn!! Just switch to this!!!i got my videos and pics!!! I'm Sasha there too!! It's cool! I'm not using Houzz no more!!!

• sasha64
    6 years ago

Next weekend I'm open them up! Free!!!! And they're doing great after all that cold we had this winter???!!!!!!check me there on FB. Zone-Pushers Gardening Beyond Your Zone!! There is a lot of friend from Pensilvania too!! Great Northern Tropicals we can grow easy here! Hope Poaky1 everything it's doing great in yr garden?????

• sasha64
    6 years ago

• sasha64
    6 years ago

• poaky1
    6 years ago

Sasha, sorry to hear that you aren't on houzze anymore, I rarely go on Facebook, but, maybe I'll try to message you on there.

• sasha64
    6 years ago

Poaky1 I go on Houzz !!just saying that's better!just I didn't go long time on Houzz that's all! We still can talk here!!!

• sasha64
    6 years ago

Finally I've got a new member in the family!!!!

• poaky1
    6 years ago

Wow Sasha, is that the one you mentioned coming from a relative? Or is it just one you picked out? Anyway, very nice size palm, how will you protect it in winter?

We had some lows of -0 F here but not many, my stuff is okay hopefully, I may uncover them in the end of April, they can take some frost, right? I would think so (hardy palms). I have a greenhouse like the one in your last pic, but, I will have to tie mine down really well, everything blows down/ away in my yard, lottsa wind, later Sasha

• sasha64
    6 years ago

Yeah this is the onother baby! Who will be babysited from November to March! This week I'll open mine out free!!! They can't wait! Will post!!!

• sasha64
    6 years ago

Finally! Let my babies free today ! March 28, 5pm! They couldn't wait no more!! So sad for Sagos burned fronds but the bottom is still green and hard! Just the time wil tell!!???

• sasha64
    6 years ago

• sasha64
    6 years ago

• sasha64
    6 years ago

• poaky1
    5 years ago

Wow, Sasha all of your stuff seems nice and green besides the Sagos, and they are likley a bit more tender, maybe zone 8b hardy. I will likely not uncover my palms until April 15th, my Yuccas are fine but, I will need to put a cover over them soon. The Yucca Rostrata has died because I could'nt keep a cover over them long enough, my Yucca Recurvifolia, and another form of Yucca that was covering another Yucca was able to cover that Yucca and it was able to grow great like the Recurvifolia. I am hoping to remember that other Yucca Gloriosa.

• longaeva54
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Timbz6, re: your hybride Yucca ‘filamentosa x elata’ X ‘filamentosa x rostrata

As I mentioned two seeds sprouted on 5 of July, now nine seeds sprouted.

• sasha64
    5 years ago

My new adopted baby from Texas!!

• longaeva54
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nice baby Sasha, how are you going to protect it during winter?

• timbz6
    5 years ago

I’m glad the seeds are sprouting. Check the leaf edges for fine serrations as this will be a trait of rostrata.

• timbz6
    5 years ago

Sasha, she’s a beauty!!

• sasha64
    5 years ago

Thanks timb6 they’ll be just fine next year better!!!!!!

• sasha64
    5 years ago

And my sagos came out back again ill post the pics !!!

• poaky1
    5 years ago

Hey Sasha, nice big palm, I must say, you look like Rod Stewart a bit. Anyways, my Yucca Gloriosa and Yucca Recurvifolia are great, getting bigger, they are in a raised bed, with NO cover from rain, and they can take the rain fine in well drained soil, but, my Yucca Rostrata had to be replaced. That's one Yucca that needs to be kept dry MUCH more than my others.

I have 2 Agaves, and they are so small still though. But, anyway, Sasha, as has been asked before, how will you shelter your much taller Palm?

I had sheltered my Windmill palm last winter, and, I certainly didn't do it correctly, it died. I think the lights I put on weren't the right ones, I used regular NON Led lights, NOT C-9 lights though, I could'nt find C-9 lights, at least NON LED ones. And the shelter leaked, I had spear pull, and even though I used an anti- fungal spray, I had fungi lookin stuff on it. I will be bringing in my Windmill palm this winter, but, next spring I'll be planting it outdoors.

Enough about my palms and Yuccas, I am sure your big palm will be more winter hardy than a young plant, but, you will surely need to protect the crown, and trunk a bit. Good luck with it, I am thinking it will be much hardier than the smaller ones you have, of course.

It's always nice to see your plants Sasha, do you use "Heat tape" along with lights? Or just lights?

• sasha64
    5 years ago

Well this are my my little Sagos yellow fronds died after last winter but Recovered again I’m surprised !!!

• sasha64
    5 years ago

You’ll see the pic above!!!

• sasha64
    5 years ago

I don’t know cant post the pic! That’s why I don’t like Houzz!!

• sasha64
    5 years ago

Finally took it!!! Ive lost three of my Rostratas only one dig it out and throw it in the ground behind my garage and two pups came out this spring!! Did not protect them at all last bad winter we had so will see!!!!and this two pups not gonna protect them even this winter!!

• sasha64
    5 years ago

I uncovered mine on April. 10 and they Ice storm we had probably that’s why the Sagos was like that but my Palms didnt mind it ! They look great now!

• sasha64
    5 years ago

Hate Houzz gonna delete it go to Face Book and join the group “Zone Pushers: Gardening Beyond your Zone!!!! That’s the group we are in!! Can see ease were postings comments !! Not gonna post no more here!! Gonna delete right now!! This Is .................

• poaky1
    5 years ago

Ummmm. Okay sasha, but, we are seeing your posts and pics here. I don't like Facebook, so I will miss your updates and pics, I do hope you eventually post updates here, but, I am guessing you won't.

• longaeva54
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello Timbz6 re: your hybride Yucca ‘filamentosa x elata’ X ‘filamentosa x rostrata

This hybride has very nice form and this is it second year.

• timbz6
    4 years ago

Agree, she’s a beauty. It’s amazing how there is almost no filamentosa in that Yucca when 50% of the genes are filamentosa. Do you have other seedlings from that cross?

PS, how long are those leaves?

longaeva54 thanked timbz6
  • longaeva54
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have seven seedling from this cross in pots. I will take a photo of them and you will see the differences. Shall I protect it during winter?

Photo of Yucca Elata in it's second year, your cross is robust

The bottom leaves of this cross are 15 inches long.

• poaky1
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'm growing mine in (Yucca Rostrata, NO hybrid) pot in my greenhouse. Long, will yours get a trunk on it in time? I am not sure how hardy yours is, so, that will tell IF you need to protect it. Rostrata are zone 5a I THINK, and Elata is zone 6. Mine is in the greenhouse because we'd gotten SO much rain in the growing season and one of mine died, my mom's cats had been peeing all over it also. The cats can't get in the greenhouse, so, I'm hoping it will be a good thing for me. IF you don't get a ton of rain and no animals messing with yours, and you are at LEAST zone 6a, I'm GUESSING your Yucca should do good.

• longaeva54
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Poaky1, I am in zone 6a and we had dry seaon this year and it is still dry. Timbz6 mentioned that Filata are hardier than Rostrata. Timbz6 's hybride is new 2017,time will tell if it will form a trunk.

• poaky1
    4 years ago

Longaeva, did you mean Filata, or Elata? Sorry, I THINK you meant "Elata".

longaeva54 thanked poaky1
  • longaeva54
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, Elata.

• timbz6
    4 years ago

Longaeva,

the filamentosa x rostrata X filamentosa x elata hybrids should be fully hardy in z6a.

• timbz6
    4 years ago

I would not protect.

longaeva54 thanked timbz6
  • longaeva54
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Timbz6, update of this hybride. It had 14 °F during May and the bottom leaves of this cross are 20 inches long.
    Rest seedlings were planted in sandy soils,no significant growths. Can you show us fotos of your seedlings of this hybride?

• poaky1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I killed my Rostrata by not watering it enough in the greenhouse. I had been watering it too much, so, I backed off TOO much and killed it :(

BUT, my Y Recurvifolia (I may have mispelled that) and my other Yucca that gets a bit of a trunk on it, and I can't think of the name of it, is doing fine. It looks just like the trunkless Yucca that everyone can get anywhere, BUT, over time it gets taller with a trunklike stem of past seasons leaves. If you scroll all the way up to the beginning of this thread and then scroll down and look at the 2nd pic that Sasha has posted above, THAT is what my Yucca is like exactly, the 1 that has a trunk made up of past years leaf growth. It flowered for me this summer too.

BTW, Sasha, how is your big palm you bought doing? I hope that it is doing good for you, later everyone:)

• poaky1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I also have a Yucca Gloriosa that is doing fine still. I had killed 2 Yucca Rostratas in total, the last 1 was in the greenhouse, and I watered it too much then too little as I already posted about. I have a Saga palm too, but, I am keeping it potted and outside in the warm season and in the greenhouse in the cold season, I have just moved in in the GH yesterday since the nights are getting chilly, it will go down to 40F Saturday night, or so says the weather report, I also moved in my 2 potted Olive trees and my Oleander bush, they are all potted of course. Has anyone tried the Oleander and the Olive trees also in a cold zone? I know this is about Yucca's but just wondered.

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting