SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

What's Blooming First Week of May

gldno1
13 years ago

I did a yard tour this morning see if the winds and rain has done any damage. Only found on iris broke off, Champagne Elegance.

From Iris

This is just inside the double gates in the garden.

From Clematis

From Clematis

and Niobe

From Clematis

I didn't get Niobe up on the wire soon enough so now the blooms are hidden behind some daylilies and peonies.
From Clematis
Follow-Up Postings:

RE: What's Blooming First Week of May

I read your tip on the new clematis thread. I have several that are blooming at the bottom. I am going to try your chicken wire or string method. You can enjoy the iris inside; the flower looks fine.

More iris have opened: Some I know others I don't. Some I bought at the iris farm that used to be out on old Highway 13. They are gone...I hate that.

andcloser view:

This is Batik; it is a slow grower and I thought I had lost it but it came back. I need to move it from this location before the violets choke it out.

and this is a bigger view of an old time one and Suky with some of the oriental early orange poppies showing.
{{gwi:1112246}}From Iris

All the photos are clickables.

glenda

Don't you love this time of year. I was gone to a family reunion for less than a week and came back to lots of new stuff blooming. I wish I had your orange poppies. Iris don't do well for me and I don't know what I do wrong. I found a pretty blue one here the other day and don't remember planting it, so maybe I should let them take care of themselves.

I have buds on my clematis but no blooms yet.

You have some beautiful iris! I love the white one especially. If you ever need to thin those out, let me know. I think we need to arrange a trade. : )

Christie, when they all get bloomed out, you are welcome to come out and pick out what you want... The white is just Immortality and usually reblooms for me. It also has a slight fragrance.

Helen, all on earth I do is plant them with the tuber facing out and barely cover leaving some exposed to the sun. Then I keep debris like leaves pulled out of the heart of the clumps. They like sun on the tubers. If not, they will rot under the 'mulch'. Also if the ground is wet be sure to plant them on a raised hill or ridge. I lost several one year because of rain standing on them too long.

I just took a picture of Superstition and Swingtown. It was sunny so the pictures aren't quite as good. I do think the color is pretty close though.This is Swingtown:

From Iris
and for some strange reason I just have a shot of the top of Superstition:
From Iris

A very tall very light blue from my sis is blooming but it was too washed out in the sun to post. I will try to get one in the shade.

BTW, I don't think I have every fertilized them.

Swingtown is beautiful next to the orange poppies.

What gorgeous pics! I've fallen in love with iris since moving to my new house where the previous owner had planted one.

I love-love-love that clematis!

RE: What's Blooming First Week of May Part 2

I got a picture of Char's (my sis) iris:

From Iris
and a better one of Superstition:
From Iris
and one out by the road that is strangely wrinkled this year:
From Iris

This is the beautiful iris that took care of itself. I remember now where it came from. A man was giving away iris at the Web City Farmers Market. I thought they would be plain common ones, but this is beautiful. Glenda I think you hit the nail on the head. I can't grow iris because I don't keep the tops of the rhizomes cleared and in the sun. My yard is shady and I use lots of leaves for mulch. My vegetable garden is outside the fence and in the sun. I will have to try them there if I can make room.

Helen, that is a beauty! just remember full sun and hot and dry.........and clean.

Good luck.

Post a Follow-Up
Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Zone (optional):

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link: Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Comments (10)