SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ricmorris

After one season of organic program

abileneblues
16 years ago

I just thought I'd post the anecdotal results of my first year on an organic program.

While I didn't have a sudden, miraculous change to the best looking lawn I've ever seen, there is definite improvement in many areas. In fact, many of the changes are really evident now as the lawn is going dormant.

The easiest thing to notice is that my bermuda appears to be going dormant more slowly than that of my neighbors. More of mine is still green.

I've had to water less. The grass takes longer to show stress signs that it needs water. I'm sure this is primarily due to the fact that the soil is softer. As I step across the lawn, I can feel myself sinking about a quarter inch or so into the soil. Normally at this time of the year, the ground is rock hard and shows cracks through the thinning grass.

I also noticed that I seemed to have a little less difficulty with nut grass and Johnson grass. They still came up, but not as many or thickly as they have in the past.

Spending less on chemicals and water while having fewer problems makes this a no-brainer for me. And I feel sure that I will have a much nicer looking lawn next year as the improved soil makes the grass healthier.

Things I wish I would have done:

-Taken a baseline soil sample for testing last spring so I could chart the improvement.

-Written down the dates that I fertilized and sprayed compost tea/molasses so I can work out the best schedule for my yard.

If you're thinking about doing an organic program, you might not have the most lush, beautiful grass in the neighborhood the first year. Find other ways to measure improvement of your lawn. I guess if I'd been really smart, I'd have listed expenses. I know that I spent less on an organic program than I've spent on chemicals. While the look of the lawn is only marginally better than with chemicals, the subtle signs show a great deal of improvement for not much more time and less money. In my mind, that makes it more than worth it.

Comments (15)

Sponsored