SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itsjustmeagain_gw

container planting near pool

itsjustmeagain
15 years ago

I'm a brand new member and this is my first posting. I'm hoping some of you can offer a bit of advice. We are in Ozark, MO and several years ago we had an in ground pool installed. We've landscaped around it with maiden grass and daylillies which have done very well. The area is fenced and the only tree inside the fence is a white birch which I love but an not sure how well it's going to do since it was damaged in both ice storms we've had.

My question is what kind of container plants would thrive around the pool? I've not had good luck with potted plants and I'm really not sure why. I do well with in-grouund plantings, but for some reason have never done very well with potted plants.

When we were building the pool, the topsoil they delivered seemed really nice and was full of worms, so we bought an extra load to use in the pots which I have mixed with potting soil as I've used it and I fertilize with Osmocote. I have tried a variety of plants including bougainvillea, hibiscus, dwarf cannas as well as annuals like salvia and spreading petunia and balloon flowers. Last year I bought a couple of banana trees which were supposed to grow 7' - 9' feet in one season and they may have reached 3'. I am planning on trying those in the ground this year and seeing how they do and if it goes well I'll just dig them up in the fall.

Since some of these pots are sitting on concrete or pavers (although we do have a wood deck adjoining the pavers and those plants don't do any better) I assume that this makes them dry out faster so I water frequently. It's not that the plants die, they just don't grow much and aren't very pretty.

I would love to have pots full of flowers (I especially love the look of red and purple together - seems kind of tropical) growing out there, but so far no luck. Also, I would like to add to some in-ground perennials to go with the maiden grass and daylillies.

If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong or suggest some plants to try, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Comments (7)