SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
efeuer

Soil test results

Liz
11 years ago

I'm planning on renovating my lawn next fall. I will probably test the front yard next year, but I was curious, so I jumped the gun and decided to run a soil test on my back yard now. Results are in. I have sandy loam (no surprise there) with 3.8% organic matter, which they said was high for sandy loam. pH is 6.22, optimal, so they said no lime should be used. As for fertilizer, they said to apply a ratio of 1-2-2, at a rate of 1 lb. of N per 1000 sq. ft.

I'm not planning on fertilizing at all next spring, since I'd just be feeding weeds. I'm thinking more about what to do at the time of seeding.

I'd like to go organic. I couldn't find any organic fertilizer with that exact ratio, but Dr. Earth Bud and Bloom Booster (4-10-7) isn't too far off. How much should be applied to my 15,000 sq. ft. lawn? Would it be sufficient to simply add compost? Why is the N requirement so low, anyway? I thought lawns mostly need N, since we don't want flowers or fruit.

3.8% organic matter seems low to me, but Rutgers didn't say so. What am I to make of this? Is it possible to have too much organic matter? I was planning on adding 3" of compost, or a mix of compost (spent mushroom substrate, probably) and topsoil. But it's expensive stuff. Do I need that much?

It seems my soil test has led to more questions than answers!

Comments (20)

Sponsored