SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gerry_wyomingpa

2007 nepa spring plant swap...shall we?

gerry_wyomingpa
17 years ago

Shall we start to plan for another swap this spring? I thought last year went rather well...not our fault that spring shower turned into the flooding rains of 2006.

We can have it here again, or another location, up to the group to decide.

I have been bored the last few weeks recovering from some surgery (you may have seen posts on the Rose Propogation and conversations forums), so this whole spring thing has been bopping back and forth in my brain.

Late spring, early summer like last year might be ideal, give all some time to do some dividing, and or rooting of cuttings and such.

Ideas, questions, comments.....someone to help organize again...

Let the posting begin.

Gerry

Comments (102)

• westhighlandblue
    17 years ago

Gerry:

I'd like the bleeding heart.

Anne

• floragal
    17 years ago

The Outdoor Expo is indeed at Lazybrook Park, and will be held from 11 am to 5 pm. We will be helping the young'uns plant sunflower seeds at our stand - Endless Mountain Gardeners, and there will be entertainment and food as well as representation from local 'outdoorsy' groups (both nonprofit and commercial).

And I have more white bleeding heart if anyone else is interested in some. I brought some last year, so I didn't mention it in my 'haves' this year.

M

• Related Discussions

Greensboro/High Point Spring Swap! May 5th 2007

Q

Comments (28)
    I have decided on some door prizes...... Came the farthest Newbiest gardener Been gardening the longest ..and a couple drawings which everyone can take part in. Nothing fancy but should be fun. I'm still potting up. Today I did a few houseplants, jade, philo, a weird aloe, and a couple other odds and ends. I have all the paper, plastic (plates, cups, napkins, plasticware) and ice covered. I'm also bringing chicken and some kind of salad or baked beans. Remember newbies, if you don't have any plants you can always bring food. You can also bring seeds, cuttings, garden mags or books, pots, yard art, buckets, or anything else you can think of that's garden related and you want rid of. Time to clean out the shed? Dawn and Bob, guessing game salvias are fine with me! Will plant and see what happens. Glad you're bringing guest, the more the merrier! Please bring some of your bird house gourds. I know my husband would love those! I have one of the old long handle dipping gourds hanging above my desk that I think Don's dad or maybe granddad grew. It's pretty cool!
    ...See More

have: list for 2007 mag spring swap

Q

Comments (145)
    Christine, if Zee's tulip poplar doesn't make it (and Suja decides to stay where she is instead of moving closer in), there is a source in Bowie as well. I got one last fall that did well after transplant but didn't make it through the winter. The person I got them from has many more seedlings/saplings, and I'm sure we could go get one if we ask. You can come dig my spirea (and some hosta) whenever you like. There is a big spirea that has your name on it now. (Sigh of relief!) I'll bring some parts of smaller ones to the swap though, in case anyone else wants some. And I'll try to remember the fork, but if I forget it you can have it when you come get the spirea..oh, wait, maybe I should hold the fork hostage, and you can use it to dig up the spirea.. =) Lynne
    ...See More

June 2nd- 2007 Annual Spring Louisville Swap

Q

Comments (28)
    Hello all, Im not really new to garden web just new to the Ohio Valley forum. I mostly stick to the Bromeliad forum and i can't believe i didn't think to look for this one. I've got a bunch of Vriesea 'Christine' pups that i've been looking for an excuse to repot if anybody is interested. All i need is an address and ill load up the bromes and girlfriend(to carry them) and im on my way. :)
    ...See More

Directions to the Spring Plant Swap April 28, 2007~near Ft. Worth

Q

Comments (14)
    Barb, Christina, Pam and Julie, I wish you could've come. Mark, it was nice meeting you. I love the pink plumeria you brought. Thanks. It was our biggest best plant swap ever and the weather was perfect. We had a hard time counting because everyone was walking around and there were too many to get in one picture. Someone said they thought we had around 70 people. I know it was more than 50 but it's like counting fish in a pond. We had lots of Garden Gate Club members and several GWers. Our club now has 45 members and some of the nicest people you've ever met. Marti, we will post picures. I'm still recovering and exhausted but it was SO worth it.
    ...See More
  • rosekiller
    17 years ago

Thanks Tamra! I'd love a little peace lily and arrowhead vine if you have some to spare! I'm not fretting over the rest, I have clematis seeds I'll try, but the blue hosta wasn't happy anyway - too much sun (although hope springs eternal that it will return from the grave necessitating the search for more shade in my mostly sunny yard). As for the roses, I'm beyond thrilled that the rest have survived!

Gerry,
    I could whip up ameratto cheesecake for a teeny snowball bush if you're game...

I have more to offer but I have to see what's going to spout or arrive (by mail - I ordered too many "Milion bells" among a few dozen other things) in time... Also, I have other mint plants I could make cuttings from... Chocolate, pineapple & orange, to name a few...

• rosekiller
    17 years ago

Sorry Gerry, I think I meant to write Snowberry bush... Did you still need some bishops weed?

Of course, Michelle's Snowball vibernum looks good too, I'm going to have to see if there is something I can tempt you with...

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    17 years ago

I think I'm going to have to sit down this weekend and see what all I offered and what all I asked for.... wow! It's not easy keeping up.
    Gerry- I replied to the email, I'll try and drop the pots off today if I can sneak out for a second.
    May 20th is fine, either day works for me.... finally it's getting closer.
    Mischelle- I'm anxiously awaiting the sprouting of the white bleeding heart you gave me last year.... I think I have the general area, I just haven't seen any sign of it yet. I hope it does well this year!

• rosekiller
    17 years ago

Kato_b, My bleeding heart hasn't sprung up yet either, but it usually makes it's appearance after I've written it off (late spring).

I can add to my list of haves: "strawberries and cream" striped grass

• jeannek_NEPA
    17 years ago

Gerry,
    The email associated with this username isn't valid anymore and I cannot change it because my good email is associated with a username I started in a snit because when I got a new computer, for the life of me I could not remember the password for this one. (Head spinning, yet? LOL) So, I didn't get an email.
    I'll email you my cell number, and you can give me a call at your convenience (but I work until 6 today, so I'll probably not hear it ringing before then).

For swap, I have some red unknown daylilies and some peachy-apricot unknowns. I should have some Kwanzo, also. At least I *think* they are Kwanzo.

{{gwi:1107540}}

{{gwi:1107541}}
    (If the red picture is huge, sorry. I have resized it, but it is still big for me)

Jeanne

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Rosekiller, I think I have a cutting that has rooted of the snowberry bush, but if not, I have one in the front I/we can dig out, I am going to re-do the front anyway.

Jeanne, Got the E-mail with your number, so I will try to give you a call after Tuesday, I am working the next 4 days.

I am going to have some tomatoe plants and sea holly available also.

Gerry

• jeannek_NEPA
    17 years ago

Rosekiller, I would love a bit of that grass, if possible.

Jeanne

• rosekiller
    16 years ago

Jeanne, You're welcome to the grass.

Kato_b, I revise my earlier statement: my bleeding hearts are about 2 inches high (couldn't see them until after a little tidying up this past weekend).

Gerry, I'm not picky. I'll take a snowberry twig, as long as you show me how to keep it happy until it grows roots... Thanks!

• floragal
    16 years ago

Only 3 weeks to go until the swap! Time's just flying by. Last year's swap was in June which gave us plenty of time to get everything sorted and potted, but I'm glad we're doing it earlier this year. Gerry, will we get to see any of your roses in bloom or is it too early? We just missed the show last year.

I spent some time this weekend potting up requests as well as stuff that just HAS TO GO.

gerry - I have set aside some small siberian iris, a japanese anenome, white geranium, and creeping phlox. I have cut the viburnum and am praying it will root. I used rooting hormone and I'm hoping for the best. I haven't been very successful in the past...

rosekiller - I'm rooting snowball viburnum for you as well. I owe you plants - big time - for your wonderful cheesecake and hospitality last year. It seems the dry hot weather lasted for weeks after our visit and I was afraid to try digging and transplanting anything in that! But I haven't forgotten you, and have your little stash started. And chocolate mint? I'd love some if you've any to spare.

kato - any sign of the white bleeding heart yet? Do you want more? It seems to REALLY like the spot it's in, 'cause I get seedlings every year. And what's that I hear? you'll take a peony? I'll throw one in the truck.

westhighlandblue - I have lots of shade and you may be interested in any or all of these plants that I have enough of to share: perennial foxglove, columbine, hellebore, bleeding heart, lily-of-the-valley, english ivy. I'm interested in your American cranberry, river birch and/or deutzia for my bank along the creek if no one else speaks up!

What time are we planning to gather? And the most important part (to me LOL!) food. Are we going to do a potluck again? If so, shall we try to coordinate dishes or just leave it up to chance? Either way - it certainly wouldn't bother me if we ended up with 7 plates of brownies!!

M

• flashphoto
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone
    I do have lots of colchicums. I need to know numbers. I also have several rooted white forsythia. I would like to know if anyone has interest in this great plant. I am going to make a list of needs (wants). Floragal, any hosta will be fine. I have rooted red twig dogwood but I would need to know numbers. Is this on the 19th or 20th?
    Vince

• floragal
    16 years ago

Hey Vince, set me up! I'd like colchicum - had no idea what they were until kato mentioned them earlier in the post. After googling and reading about them they have made my list of gotta haves. I'm happy to hear you have enough to share. Do you think they'd do well in dry shade, or should I pick a better spot?

I second the motion on the white forsythia - its a great plant. Very well-behaved, elegant shape with a pretty blush-white bloom - earlier than yellow forsythia in my garden, but that might just be because it's in a prime location whereas my yellow ones are on the north side, crappy soil, etc. Needless to say, I don't need one but I wanted to let everyone know my experience with it.

I'll pull a few varieties of hosta for you - a couple of big-leafed, a variegated or two, and a fragrant one. (That's how I have them categorized in my beds.) Then it's up to you to identify them!

And I think we're going with the 20th.

M

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    16 years ago

I have started my "haves" list. If anyone would like anything, please just speak up! I'm going to keep my eyes open for other things that may be interesting to offer as well. I can't remember what I've planted until it starts happening.

I have: (grown from seed this year)
    Genovese Basil
    Parsley
    Cardinal Climber Vine
    Foxglove (clumps of tiny seedlings)
    Hollyhocks (clumps of tiny seedlings)
    unknown iris
    unknown lily (not orange ditch lily)
    Yucca
    Rose Campion
    2 kinds of creeping sedum
    Lilac cuttings or maybe I can dig a rooted "sucker"
    Elephant Garlic - started plants or cloves
    Houseplants - Arrowhead Vine - I have the "name" somewhere!
    Peace Lily
    Asparagus Fern
    A purple plant that may be from the Wandering Jew family.

I'm hoping that I can add a few more things in the next week or so....plants, food, desserts! ;)

Vince, I would love to have a start of a white forsythia! I do have some Hosta popping up but I have no names for them. I'll have a "big leafed green that flowers purple" or a green and white variety...let me know if you'd like some.

I have a recipe for a Romaine, Strawberry, Poppyseed Salad that I could bring....and whatever else is needed.

• rosekiller
    16 years ago

Michelle (or is it Mischelle, I've seen it both ways), thanks so much, the pleasure was all mine! (But the chocolate mint is now yours!)

Vince, the colchicum sounds nice (I also googled it). I have a bazillion dahlias (different varieties - I'll have to check what they are), would you be interested in a few?

What time is the get-together? I can bring BBQ mini sausages and a dessert.

• westhighlandblue
    16 years ago

Floragal

You've got a deal. I'll take what ever shade loving plants you can spare. I am glad the river birch has found a good home, with you. I promised some American Cranberry, already, but I have 6 or 8 of them, so there may be more than enough to go around.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

My head is spinning from trying to see what everyone has/wants!
    Vince -if you have colchicums left, I'd like some too, I have some hostas I can bring as an exchange. Also if there's a white forsythia left I'd like to try one too.

My white bleeding heart has appeared. It was hidden by a big clump of grass(weed) that sprouted right next to it.... it has flower buds already!

Mischelle I would love a peony. I think I can find a spot for it..... actually I know I can!

Gerry- I have the pots, I still have to get over there. I'm swapped this week, what's up with that?

• floragal
    16 years ago

Hi all,

I was working on a spot in the yard that just doesn't want to grow grass so I've decided to put in a shade-loving groundcover. After much consideration I think Sweet Woodruff would fit the bill nicely. Does anyone have some they can share or trade? If so I would most appreciate it!

I'll bring a salad of some sort, and some brownies. What time are we going to start this event?

• westhighlandblue
    16 years ago

I'll bring a Texas Sheet Cake and fried chicken.

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was wondering about a time also, since it is a Sunday, I am not sure how many will be going to church. Perhaps midday would be good, but I am oppen to anytime, so that can also be left up to you guys/gals to decide.

I have some sweet woodruff, I will try to pot some up into containers and see if it survives the transition.

Frank stopped by this week with some pots...THANK YOU Frank...and showed waaaay to much restraint with plants, I only managed to pawn off one on him and that was the Corydalis he had wanted.

Any extra plants you care to bring aside from trades will be a good thing, the neighbors caretaker is working for a plant sale that will benefit....I think it is the "Meadows"...so I have been digging things for her as well in the last few days, their sale is in June, so good timing.

Gerry

• floragal
    16 years ago

I just looked up last years' thread, and 11-2 was proposed, although I think we pushed it back to 12:30 as I had a motorcycle safety class and couldn't make it that early. Either time works for me this year.

M

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We are getting sooooo close....11-2 is good for me, so no problem. I have a few things potted up for the trade, but not much yet...but the pot ghetto is HUGE, e-gads, I need to get those things planted.

If anyone needs directions and my cell number, please E-mail me and I will get that to you.

Gerry

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

Well THAT figures. Something came up last minute and I may not be able to attend..... and of course I would much rather go to the plant trade so that makes it even worse.

I might do some phantom trading, I'll drop the plants off in the morning and then if I don't make it at least the plants will.
    grrrrrrrr.

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    16 years ago

Sitting here watching it rain....it's wonderful! soooo relaxing.

The best laid plans are often changed. No matter what happens in life, we will still have our plants and gardens to enjoy.

We just found out that my sil is coming in from Virginia for the weekend. I'd love to make it to the swap but I'm just not sure what will happen just yet.

I'll definitely post again when I figure out what's going on. If I can make it....Gerry, I"ll need your address again, so I can mapquest. Thanks so much! Tamra

• shelly_belly
    16 years ago

Hi everyone I am new to this forum. I understand that there is a swap on Sunday. I don't have anything I could offer at this time, but I would love to meet some other local gardeners. I would be willing to bring food!

Shelly

• jeannek_NEPA
    16 years ago

Hi Shelly,
    Where are you in PA?

I will have some BIG hosta. I don't know what kind-came with the house. It is a darkish green and forms humongous clumps.
    I do have those daylilies, too. Red, peach and an orange double.
    Lilacs anyone? I have white ones - and would be digging from under them, assuming those volunteers are whites. So you MAY get whites. I have a row of them, but there is a white one down a bit, sitting alone, so I can dig from there. Would bringing blooms work? Maybe root them?

Jeanne

• shelly_belly
    16 years ago

Hi Jeanne I am in Dallas, Pa.

Shelly

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey there Shelly...

As far as I am concerned you are most welcome!

Frank, I have the cattails for you, if you make an early morning run, PLMK so I can put them out for you to find...of course I am sure you are not coming because you do not want more plants...LOL

Tamra, I really hope you can make it, but understand if not.

Gerry

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK guys/gals...

Just a few days to go, any chance we can get a show of hands and what you are bringing, so far as edibles...plants are pretty much worked out already, I think.

Gerry

• floragal
    16 years ago

Hi Gerry,

I'll be there! And I'll be bringing a friend as well. We're bringing a salad and brownies. And I still need your address - can you email me at carps49 at ptd dot net? Thanks!

Mischelle

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

Hey I'm back! It looks like I have Sunday free again which is good. I'll be digging tomorrow and will try to find some goodies, but I'm not much of a food person. Maybe I can pick up some chips and drinks?

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will supply soda and hotdogs and who knows what else...I will try to figure it out from what others are bringing. I am thinking that someone last year was a vegetarian, but I can't remember who, so if you are coming, PLMK and I will get a package of the veggie burgers.

The grill this year is alot smaller than last year, but we can manage I am sure...BTW, does anyone want a grill, it just needs a new burner unit so far as I know, like 25-30 bucks at Wal*Mart, comes with a cover and a new BBQ set.

Gerry

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Frank, I did not see you had posted when I posted. You can bring chips and soda, that will be good.

Just a small hint, in case anyone has any spare sedum, heuchera or hosta (other than plain green) I have a few pots I need to fill with perennials that survive winter outdoors and they fit the bill nicely, or any other mannerly zone 3-4 perennials.

I still have things I need to dig, but won't be potting, and quite a few 'goodies' I have that I am including, perhaps as door prizes if more than one person is interested in them.

Overwhelmed and Excited in Wyoming-Gerry

• jeannek_NEPA
    16 years ago

Hey all,
    I'm bringing a friend, too. She bakes :) How about buns, Gerry? Shall I bring some? I'm heading up to Sam's today and can pick some up. Do you still have that email with my cell #?
    I have a heuchera - a purple one, although it is more reddish.

Jeanne

• jeannek_NEPA
    16 years ago

I forgot,
    Vince, is the red twig dogwood still available? I'm interested if it is. Thanks!

Gerry,
    I emailed for your address.

Jeanne

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Does anyone else need directions....

Gerry

• flashphoto
    16 years ago

Hi everyone
    Jeanne the red twig is available. I will bring one. I am bringing lots of Colchicums. I could use a white lilac. See everyong tomorrow
    Vince

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Vince,

Good to see you are coming I have a few unknown hostas reserved for you.

Gerry

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just e-mailed my cell number to all you guys in case you need a bit of help with getting here....organicburro, I did not see a way to E-mail you...If you plant to come, PLEASE try to answer here tonight, and send me an E-mail so I can get the information to you.

Hope to see you all tomorrow, and I will be checking this post on and off tonight and tomorrow morning, in case any questions come up, or you can call me.

Gerry

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    16 years ago

It looks like you'll have a great day...maybe some sprinkles but nothing like last year!

I'm sorry I won't be able to make it.....Enjoy! I'll be thinking of you all. Tamra

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

I didn't make it after all. First I thought I was in the clear, then it was down to a no more than two hour stop, then it was a drop off plants quick and say hi, then it was a bring them now and leave them by the gate.... luckily I live close enough that this was an option.
    Grrrrr. Four months of anticipation. I bet it went well, the weather was perfect! I want details. Gerry could you email your number? The one I had must be old. Enjoy your new plants!
    Frank

• westhighlandblue
    16 years ago

Kato: I did not make it either. I had the flu, all week. I was still too sick on Saturday to be digging things out of the earth. And then on Sunday too tired to get up early, dig things up, and then make the two hour drive. I was also so very disappointed. I had been looking forward to that day for months. Having said that, I would be willing to meet up with anyone who still wants the Fringe Tree, the River Birch, and the other assorted items on my list. The Fringe Tree is in a pot and is in the most dire need of a home.

• floragal
    16 years ago

Hi Tamra, Frank, and westhighlandblue. We sure missed seeing you! It was a beautiful day, and I sure would have been sad to miss it as well. You have another chance to get together. It was generally agreed that we should get together again, and I will be hosting a picnic at my house out in East Bejeezus. I'll be emailing all thread participants soon with possible dates. My garden looks best mid-June (doesn't every one's?) but that may be too soon for most, so we'll shoot for end-of-June, early July.

See you soon!

• westhighlandblue
    16 years ago

Great news floragal. I look forward toward seeing every one then!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

Uh oh. I'm going to be away late June - early July. I just can't win!!

Maybe I need to host a later season swap..... The deck is in the process of being built (don't ask -it's the reason i couldn't make it Sunday and it's also the source of many arguments....... FYI: don't have relatives do work at your house....... especially unsupervised, shoddy work.... oops better stop there!!)

Maybe I can swing a trip up to East Bejeesus sometime next month? I'd love to visit!! -Am I being too creepy-pushy?

I really missed not getting to the swap. It's not even the plants, it's seeing people happy with new goodies and the nice tour of Gerry's gardens!

• jeannek_NEPA
    16 years ago

Kato,
    Sorry to hear you may miss another get together.

My red twig dogwood (variegated) is already showing happiness in the bed...and the columbine hasn't died yet, either. Woo hoo! I still have something in a pot. I have no idea what it is. I'll just bring it next month and you all can refresh my memory, LOL.

Jeanne

• rosekiller
    16 years ago

Gerry,

If I try to describe a plant of yours, could you try to ID it for me?

It was the purple, wisteria-like flowering bush that had a heavenly scent by your secluded sitting area in the garden... (clear as mud, right?)

I thought your plant was a lilac, but after smelling a confirmed lilac, I'm not so sure...

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    16 years ago

Wow! 100 posts!! I've been checking in to see when the next get together will be. Bustin my hump outside!!

I have a "Real Garden"!! We had dirt brought in to cover the rock ledges and (so far) it's looking great. It's so dry though. I've been watering in the evening because the morning sun hits directly on the garden. Is this the "right" thing to do? I grew many tomatoes from seed and have plenty to fill in the row for ones that are dying. I'm not sure if it's because it's so dry or what's going on. I have a yellow squash bloom and a zuccini!! So exciting! The plants really don't look established enough for it to have happened already.

I also made more or a decorative garden or kitchen garden. I have some bamboo teepees and morning glory seeds planted around them. If anyone needs 5 ft bamboo poles (they're the thin ones), I found mine at the Christmas Tree Store at the Shoppes at Montage (WOW!! That store is incredible for decorative things! I thought it would be Christmas things....not! I also bought a "Garden Party" rose bush for $3.99 and it's growing strong right out of the bag. (not a "collectible" rose or anything...but, it's a rose!

Before I forget and my blooms die, I've got a few different colors of iris going on outiside. If anyone needs one, let me know. I can hold it for the next swap or even mail it. It should be safe to dig after the bloom dies, right? I have the light lavender color with the pale yellow vein (common) & a golden yellow with a burgandy veining. The lavender are larger blooms and the golden are medium sized. Now that things are growing nicely out of the ground, I think that I'll have more things to offer (if we'll be swapping again).

Well, I'd better get ready to go, I'm off to the Dollar Tree and the Christmas Tree Store in the "big city" today! lol It's a big day!

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    16 years ago

Oh, one more thing, it's not going to be on the 30th, is it?

HAH! 101 posts!!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

Mischelle- Can you email me? I tried sending you a message but remembered you saying something last weekend abou the email address being no good. Mine is KatoB427 at aol dot com

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES