SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mia_blake

Dixondale onion harvest

MiaOKC
11 years ago

Good morning! I think a some of my onions from Seedmama's order are ready to harvest. I planted one short day sampler and one intermediate day sampler. All the red onions in the short day bunch inexplicably gave up the ghost a few weeks ago before even beginning to bulb. They didn't bolt, they just laid down and died. An animal may have cavorted through their section. One day stems all proudly upright, the next day, laying over (but no bulbs).

It seems the white onions from each sampler are the first to show signs of being ready. They are smaller than grocery store onions, likely because I didn't supplement any fertilizer, but they are pretty and about 3 inches across. I didn't get a huge amount of leaves, I will need to count how many.

Anyone else's onions ready? Am happy to get some of them out (although I've read some people leave them and only pull as they are ready to use) because I need that space for cukes and zukes.

PS - if an onion/garlic has bolted and has a scape, can it still be eaten? The elephant garlic I found in the pre-established garden was only located because there were huge scapes leading me to it. I may cut the scapes and put them in a vase they are so pretty.

Comments (8)