SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sc77

Organic...still Grubs

sc77 (6b MA)
10 years ago

I have maintained an all natural organic lawn for the past 4 years. I follow all the rules, mow high, water deep (1inch) weekly, leave clippings, spray compost tea, top dress with compost, overseed in the fall, fertilize with Ringer brand organic fertilizer, sbm, and corn gluten meal.

Most areas are doing very well, but the last two years my lawn in the front yard has gone yellow in late July. I assumed it was dormant and would come back, but it never did. This year was worse and when I dethatched the lawn it literally just peeled off in sheets. Underneath I found grubs...lots of them. In a square ft. section I could could almost 20. I plan to treat with beneficial nematodes, Had anyone had success/experience with applying nematodes?

2 other questions:

1. Why is there a belief that organic lawns don't get grubs, or at least not in high enough volumes to destroy a lawn. Last year I didn't even inspect closely for grubs, because everything I read online suggested that is just an issue for synthetic lawns. I reseeded last fall and the this spring an early summer it was one of the best looking sections of my lawn, lush, thick, and green.

2. I also always hear that a healthy organic lawn won't need to be dethatched, but mine needs to be annually. I'm confident that my lawn is healthy, when removing the grubs the soil was a nice loan with many worms... yet I still have a thatch build up by the fall? thoughts?

Comments (11)

Sponsored