SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fusty_overalls

Let's design the ideal plant swap!

fusty_overalls
18 years ago

So, I want to do a plant swap in the fall in the Pgh area. We've talked (in a previous post) about what went *badly* at a plant swap earlier this spring. What are the things that you *liked* or *didn't like* about any plant swaps you've been to?

Let's design the best Pgh plant swap for early Sept!!! :)

I went to one in Ambridge last year and here are the things I liked:

- everyone set out their plants and the swapping was a leisurely, friendly, true swap...where you made an agreement with someone to trade something they had for something you wanted

- it was a fun time to sit around and relax and chat with other gardeners

- there were door prizes (birdhouses, plant markers, flowers) (i don't know who sponsored these)

- we had a covered dish lunch (everyone brought something...someone provided a grill and wieners)

- someone did a demonstration of how to make a planter

I went to the one in North Park and here are the things I didn't like:

- no real swapping - you just set your stuff out and people came and took it... :(

- not set up to encourage sitting and chatting (it was in a concrete parking lot in glaring sun on a hot day)

Some other things that we should think about:

- someone mentioned organizing it around tickets...how does that work? you bring 20 plants and get 20 tickets that you can trade for 20 other plants? has that worked well for anyone?

- using this forum to set up trades ahead of time...so you can come to the plant swap with some plants that you've already arranged to trade...just mark the plants with the person's name

- ??? what else has anyone had fun experience with?

I'm thinking about either the Sewickley area (if i can talk my friend into using her house) or McKees Rocks/Kennedy Twp area. The one in Ambridge was at a park picnic pavillion. That was nice too cuz we had the shade, parking, space, picnic tables...I'm open for suggestions.

Comments (26)

Sponsored