SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
verant_knight

organic lawn - getting started

verant_knight
13 years ago

I'm new to organic lawn gardening and I'd like some advice/feedback.

My lawn is approximately 15,000 sqft of Piedmont clay located SE of Raleigh, NC. I am currently waiting on soil sample results, but in the past my pH has been in the 6.5-7.0 range. I generally drop some dolomite line each year in the fall, approx. 20#/1000sf. The lawn is ...was... a mixture of tall fescue varieties planted over several years. I use NCSU Turffiles variety trials to select box store seed mixes with the greatest amount of high performing varieties for this area.

I say "was" because I lost 50%+ of my lawn to a combination of brown patch and pithium blight this year... exacerbated by the screwy weather early in the summer. We were doing well into mid-May... thick and healthy through the droughty end of spring. Following the ton of water we got in May and early June the fungus went wild and it's been all downhill since. I've been pulling crabgrass for the past week, as it's popping right out of the ground, root and all, and most of it has not gone to seed yet. I am also seeding clover in the areas that I have cleared of crabgrass, for something green and to hopefully compete with the next 5 generations of crabgrass.

So, I am reseeding in a few weeks and I want to shift completely away from chemical fertilizers, etc.

my plan is as follows, so far:

1) apply 20#/1000sf of alfalfa pellets in the next week or so (trying to find a decent local price for 300#)

2) wait for soil sample results and apply lime. probably dolomite pellets, as I'm not sure how to apply the powered white kind effectively.

3) aerate the bloody heck out of the lawn to tear up the completely bare areas and provide some loose soil for seed. (timed right before...)

4) seed sometime in mid september, preferably following or before some rain to cut down on watering. (oh for a week of showers)

questions:

Will the alfalfa provide enough nutrients to get my seed started?

Do I apply corn cracked/meal or soybean meal when I seed? wait a few weeks or till later in the fall?

Will corn cracked/meal interfere with seedling growth? I know CGM will, but I'm not sure about the non-concentrated cracked/meal.

I plan to apply CGM in late Feb to cut down on crabgrass, etc followed in may by another application of corn cracked/meal to deal with summer fungi issues.

Advice?

Anyone know vendors in the Raleigh area that sell corn/soy/alfalfa/CGM?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County