SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe_schmo

New Yard, New Adventure in Organics

joe_schmo
16 years ago

Hello, all--

I've lurked here for quite a while now, but with the recent purchase of a new home in a new state I've decided to come out of my burrow and get serious about the weird and wonderful world of worm poop, fish guts, and animal feed!

Our family has gone from a 1/10th acre yard to a full acre, including a 1/2 acre+ ocean of grass in the front yard, that is mostly burmuda (a grass I have no experience with, but is obviously a creeping menace) but also what appears to be some fescue in the shady areas and maybe even some zoysia randomly spread around in chunks. No longer can I use the "ignore it for a month, spend a weekend beating it back" method of landscape care, and it's all a bit frightening. Thank goodness you folks have little else to do but spread your wisdom like so much compost upon the barren minds of newbies like me.

So far I've constructed a "Deuly's Own" tea brewer and whipped up a batch of tea and spread it (where I plan to actually keep the grass, that is....more on my lawn reduction strategies another time), I've obtained a Weed Hound and tackled the endless supply of plantain and dandelions, and I've tracked down a supplier of soybean meal. Not bad for having been in the new place since mid-June, I'd say.

The soybean meal is an interesting item. It's actually mixed with some molasses. Not sure if it's enough to have a positive effect on the lawn, though. Any thoughts? Also, the mix means the protein count is 44%, not 47% like most other posters here have mentioned purchasing. Not a big deal, I assume.

One last thing before I suck all the air out of the room -- The weeds I have in the greatest numbers -- two kinds of plantain, crabgrass, and dandelion -- seem to indicate a calcium deficiency in my soil. When using an organic program is a soil test still a good idea to confirm my hunch and to give me an idea of how much lime to apply, or will the results be so skewed to an NPK approach that it wouldn't do me much good?

I'm looking forward to taking part in future discussions, and thanks to all of you who have taught me so much already in past posts!

Joe S.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!