SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwhittin_gw

Backyard nightmare (long)

We bought our house about two years ago, and the entire yard was neglected badly. It's taken these two years just to get the yard to a manageable state (brush removal, etc.), and now I want to try tackling the lawn. Although I really wouldn't call much of it 'lawn'.... it's more weeds than anything. Let's start on one side of the house and work towards the other side. I can take pictures upon request, if that helps. It's embarrassing, but I'll do it.

One side of the yard (north, surrounded by fence) is where I have put my garden, which was originally overgrown with brush and brambles. I've done a lot with that spot, but it's the area around the garden that needs the work now. Most of the soil around there is covered with moss with some grass growing between it.

Going out back from the house (west) is the majority of the back yard. Last year after raking the fall leaves, there was a huge patch of just dead grass. Maybe 15x10 feet. This does get shade by the maple tree nearby, but does get some good sun during the day. Now what is growing there is mostly weed, though we did throw down some grass seed. However if the seed took we're not sure because that spot was overrun with weeds. Definitely not grass. The rest of the back yard has a decent amount of grass mixed in with the weeds.

We have a large patch of the yard (southwestish) in some shade from the trees to the south, which has been overrun with smooth sumac, some sort of vining plant (along with oriental bittersweet), garlic mustard and poison ivy. Took me two years of digging the sumac out to get it to a decent spot now, though it's still atrocious. I think I've killed a lot of garlic mustard, but that stuff is tenacious. Not sure what to do with that location as it gets minimal sun. I want to cut some of the low hanging branches from the southern ash and maple trees, not sure if that will help at all. Ideally that spot will be our 'play yard', where we would put down some mulch and a swing set. Not nearly close enough to done to do that yet, especially with some lingering poison ivy.

To the south is the plantain lawn. It's all plantain. Some grass, some other weeds (wild carrot), some moss(!), but 90% plantain. I can't dig all of that out.

I will be getting a soil test done, just not sure when. But where do I take the soil from? All over? My garden? The mossy areas? The shady area with the sumac & garlic mustard?

Basically now I'm looking for some advice on:

What do to for the lawn. I heard corn meal was good to throw down, and I can probably get that as there's a feed store nearby.

What to do about the weeds/add grass instead. Can we overseed in the fall? Will the grass crowd out the weeds, even if they are fully established?

We need to do this as cheap and organic as possible. We have a lawn mower and weed whacker... no seed spreader, no aerator, no chipper... those could be rented, but need a plan in place to make the best use of them.

Again, let me know if pictures will be helpful.

Comments (9)

Sponsored