SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rlembke_gw

Pics - Newly Org Lawn Troubleshooting

rlembke
16 years ago

Good morning everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster in this forum. A warm and genuine thank you to all the regular contributors as your guidance helps a great many of us who you never hear from.

I hope you can offer some guidance as to what ailment my lawn has or what I might be doing that is causing this problem. Lawn is a KBG of some kind (guy who installed sod 3 years ago called it "Blue Master"). It has been a high maintenance yard until this year as I've started an organic program. SBM (19lb/1k) on Mem Day and the 4th. Lesco fert w/ Dimension in a split ap in the spring. 3 applications of 1 lb N in the fall last year.

I've never seen it do anything like this before. And its localized to just this front 1/4 of the yard!

Aerial shot -

{{gwi:110713}}

It started in just the long stripes that you can still kinda see. It has something to do with my mower's wheels. It started showing up in just the strips after a full 6 days of rain. The grass was very tall and since I'm already at full height on the mower, I had no option but to remove a large amount of grass at one time.

Now it is really spreading! No just along stripes anymore.

The areas of grass that do not show these symptoms look great, have plenty of water (only 2/3 of what was required last year in same conditions). I've dug several patches looking for grubs and have found none. The pictures don't look like anything I see in any of the extension disease galleries or various books I've looked through.

I suspect a thatch problem given how the problem first showed up in areas where the wheels would have matted the grass down. My plan when the strips first showed up was to just get through the summer, power rake/aerate in the fall and overseed to fix the thatch issue but the patches are really spreading now.

I have 4-5 different mowing patterns that I alternate between so the same areas aren't always getting the wheels.

Any thought at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (26)

Sponsored