SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_s

New England regional gardening books..and invasives

ellen_s
16 years ago

I got a really nice book for Christmas "The American Horticultural Society Northeast SmartGarden Regional Guide". It is 400 pages of beautiful photos of various plants suitable in our region, organized into categories such as "trees with yellow or gold foliage" and "Evergreen screens and hedges". I love it! But it is so frustrating to see so many plants recommended that are listed on the invasive list for MA and other New England states, such as Japanese Barberry (Berberis thunbergii) and Euonymous alata (Winged Burning Bush). I am seeing these plants forming stands in the natural areas around us in central MA - they are seedlings of cultivars of these shrubs planted in yards and roadside plantings (such as Purple-leaf Japanese Barberry).

The book does talk about avoiding the use of invasives, and describes all the other tenets of earth-friendly gardening, but the plant listings were obviously not edited for regional invasives. It was a 2003 edition of the book, so it was probably in production before most of the states released lists of invasive plants, so I'm sure it was just poor timing not deliberate.

But...it's tough for the average person to know "the right thing to do" when it comes to invasive plants when even the American Hort Society books recommend plants that are invasive in our region.

I started doing 'garden coaching' last year, and have talked to so many people who WANT to avoid using invasive plants in their landscape but just don't know what's invasive and what's not!

New England Wild Flower Society has a lot of information on the website about invasive plants. And there is readily available information on the internet about invasive plants for those who are willing to do some regional research. But I'm curious, for those of you who deliberately avoid using ecologically invasive plants in your gardens, where have you picked up your information? Newspaper articles? The internet? Classes at places such as Tower Hill and Garden in the Woods?

Ellen

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive Plants on New England Wild Flower website

Comments (13)