SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoyess

What can I expect and what is next

hoyess
15 years ago

OK I've gone organic this year but I'm not sure if it is working or if I am just expecting too much too early?

I put down pelletized compost (I have over one acre lawn so for ease I went with product that could be spread with tow behind spreader) in mid-April at slightly more than recommended rate since getting a full pallet delivered was cheaper. On May 5 I put down:

-- alfafa meal at recommended rate

-- K-Mag at slightly more then recommended rate

-- some sulfer at recommended rate

Last two products were based on soil test recommendation as my soil is slightly sweet and low in magnesium.

Lawn is healthy looking but nowhere near green. I know not to expect lush dark green but was hoping for better. I'm also getting some clover popping up which tells me I may still have nitrogen deficiency. Not a lot of new dandelions so sulfer may halve helped with that.

How green will my lawn get? For the June application I was going to use corn gluten meal since that was recommended for summer (I did not use in spring since I overseed).

My soil test recommendation says to put down K-mag again and corn gluten. Should I just invest the $$ in more corn gluten to boost the starting process? (By the way my organic matter was OK in soil test but I have a lowish CEC -- 11). In fact the soil test recommend K-mag at all 4 applications -- this seems a bit excessive and expensive to me???

Thanks for the advice

Sharon

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County