SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tommysgarden

difference between meals....

tommysgarden
15 years ago

okay, i'm looking for a little education/clarification here.... i'm sure this has been addressed in some other post, but i couldn't seem to find one talking about specifically this:

cracked corn, corn gluten meal, alfalfa meal, soybean meal...what's the difference between the 4?

from reading around on the forum, it seems that cracked corn is the "food of choice" for your lawn throughout the season. true or false? would alfalfa or soybean be a better option?

corn gluten meal seems to be praised for its pre-emergent herbicide qualities. does that mean it's only ideal for use early in the season? also, do the other meals possess the same herbicide qualities?

and then, soybean meal seems to be the fertilizer of choice for the lawn's "final meal" at the end of the season...any other time it's useful?

also, the feed store i'll probably be getting everything from has the alfalfa and soybean meals in either granulated or pelletized form. is there a benefit to one over the other? it would seem to me that the pelletized form would be longer-lasting as the soil microbes would take longer to break it down, but is that true? does corn gluten ever come in pellets?

i'm sure most or all of these questions will probably seem a bit boring and elementary to most of you regulars, but hopefully answering them will help shed some light on more "inquiring minds" than just mine. and thanks in advance for humoring me and enlightening me. i think the answers to these questions will really help me figure out a game plan for recovering my lawn.

Comments (4)

Sponsored