SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dhewie_gw

How much should I water?

dhewie
13 years ago

I live in a home that was built 2 years ago. The area around the house was backfilled with basically sand. Then they put down a couple inches of dirt prior to hydroseeding in the fall of 2008. As the summer wore on last year, the area in front of the house between the sidewalk running to the road and the driveway started drying up in spots. I've done some spot checking throughout the yard with a spade and surprisingly found that most of the yard looks pretty good with at least 3-4 inches of what looks like good soil. But in the area that was dying off (and still hasn't looked so great this spring) I found that it's still pretty much just sand, with maybe an inch of dirt on top. This section is roughly 15'x20' and I would guess about 25% of it, mostly in one large area, is void of good soil. My question is how should I handle watering? After doing research, I've figured out I was watering incorrectly last year (ever day for 10-15 minutes), so I planned to water longer once a week to encourage deep roots (the thatch I already have points to shallow roots already). But obviously this type of watering wouldn't be ideal for the spots with mostly sand. Should I go with infrequent watering, stick with frequent watering in this zone (the area in question is it's own zone), or maybe a combination of a couple times a week?

I'm planning to pick up some compost tomorrow to put down in this area to help kick start the microbes some more. I'm also planning to use Milorganite for fertilizer (I used it a couple times last year), and I already mulch my grass. The largest sandy area is also a little bit lower than the rest of that section, so I'm thinking of also spreading out some more dirt and overseeding in the fall. Please give me some thoughts on this plan, and how you would handle the watering.

Comments (5)

Sponsored