SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave11_gw

Advice on switching an old lawn to Organic

dave11
16 years ago

Hi. I found this forum, and it helped convince me to try an organic approach. Now i'm looking for advice.

Last year I moved into a house built in 1951, with about 18,000 SF of neglected lawn. Looks to be common KBG, probably the original lawn. I'm in western PA, zone 6A.

The front lawn is about 10,000 SF, and about 4,000 SF of the grass had been lost to superficial erosion and the roots of a large Norway Maple. I tilled the soil, added quality topsoil, starter fertilizer, and quality seed (KBG, PRG, and Chewings Fescue). Now, of course, i'm waiting for the seed to germinate.

I didn't add compost to the topsoil, though from my reading, it seems I should have, but the base soil looked/felt/smelled fairly organic, for whatever that's worth.

The 4,000 SF area of new seed abuts the remaining 6,000 SF of the front lawn, and I'm expecting it will not match, so I'm planning to kill the remainder of the old lawn in the Fall, and overseed with the same mix.

At this point, i'm seeking opinions and advice. I'm assuming that I need to wait until the new grass is fully established before adding compost, correct? But there would be no harm in adding compost now to the remaining areas of lawn that are to be killed in the Fall, correct?

And if I understand all this correctly, on a newly-organic lawn, compost should go down at least a few weeks (?) before any organic fertilizers?

The old grass is fairly healthy, but has grub damage in spots. I also just applied a spray of nematodes.

I'd appreciate any comments about this particular situation.

Thanks.

Comments (24)

Sponsored