SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
a_bear

when is it time to start over?

a_bear
14 years ago

Recently I decided to try to save my lawn, and I decided I wanted to do so organically. We moved into our house two years ago, and the lawn (which is about 2000 sq ft) is problematical. The most recent problem is that creeping charlie has taken over. I've spent some time over the last several weeks digging it up, but the stuff is everywhere and the roots are hard to reach and I'm increasingly realizing that doing the whole yard would be a full-time job (which I already have several of). I'd be willing to use a herbicide one last time if that would solve the problem, but I've been reading that there aren't even a lot of chemicals that work well on charlie. (Then again, I'm also reluctant to spray herbicides because I have a 3 year-old who plays on the lawn.)

I'm beginning to wonder if this is the point at which I need to give up on what we have and start over.

In addition to the weeds, we (not surprisingly) have poor soil quality. It's badly compacted and there's very little of it.

Then there's the thing that's been bugging me since we bought the house. The previous owner planted zoysia on half the lawn. It's nice when it's green, and it's less weedy than the rest, but it spends almost half the year yellow and requires yearly dethatching.

This is my first house and my first time dealing with lawn, so I'm looking for some advice. Given all of this, does it seem worthwhile to move ahead with composting, organic-fertilizing, and hand weeding, or would it be more practical to kill what's there and start over from scratch? If the latter, what's the least harmful way of killing what's there?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations