SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
droogie6655321

Mulch advice and options for a small vegetable garden

droogie6655321
17 years ago

OK, here's the situation. I have a small vegetable/herb garden I planted a couple of weekends ago. Most of the things I've read say mulching is great for your plants and should be done within the first month. I'm reaching that point now, and I'd like to talk about my options.

Keep in mind, this is a small bed. Maybe 10 feet by 5 feet. I have a couple tomato plants, three strawberry plants, some herbs and a pepper plant that may or may not live because of the cold.

Cost is a factor. I have to justify every dollar spent to my wife, who thinks I'm obsessed with this garden project and doesn't want to hear any more about it. So if there's a way to mulch using materials I have in my yard (some half-mature compost, newspapers and/or fresh grass clippings from my bag mower), let me know.

If I have to spend money on this, that's OK, but I'm worried about getting overwhelmed with the choices. The stuff I know about is wood chips of every type and color, black fabric (which I'm not wild about because it's artificial), rubber chips (ditto), bark mulch (which sounds promising) and a few other things that aren't springing readily to mind.

I don't know what the pros and cons of any of these things are. If you have any advice, I appreciate it!

Comments (6)