SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Tonight's Cold Weather and Possible Frost

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
16 years ago

I know it is springtime, but we still have a few "cool" nights to get through, and maybe tonight's will be the last one we have to worry about.

Even way down here in southern Oklahoma, we are looking at temperatures near 40 degrees early tomorrow morning. If you are a less-experienced gardener, 40 degrees sounds fine, doesn't it? However, I know from experience that the lower-lying area where our property is located often gets up to 10 degrees colder than the forecast high, so.....

Tonight I will be covering the 22 tomato plants I've already planted in the ground, using flower pots and buckets. I probably won't cover the 20-something containers I've already planted with tomatoes, herbs and tender annuals, BUT they are up under the patio cover (where they safely weathered last night's hail).

If you are not sure whether to cover tender vegetation tonight, consider what Randy said in another post.....if there are few to no clouds, frost is a greater possibility. If there is only very, very light wind overnight or no wind at all, frost is a greater possibility.

Also, I like to check the temperatures at 9 to 10 p.m. If they are already in the upper 40s to very low 50s at that point, I generally feel a frost is more likely than if they are in the mid 50s or higher.

It is always better to be overly-cautious on cool spring nights than to have regrets the next day.

And, if you cover the plants tonight, be sure to uncover them early in the morning so the sun doesn't roast them.

I don't think anyone has an actual forecast of a frost tonight, but we all know frost can form at 38 degrees or so if all the other conditions are right.

Carol, if you are reading this, I imagine your forecast low is even worse than ours.

Dawn

Comments (15)