SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canselmi_gw

Compost Tea vs Molasses Applied Directly to Lawn

canselmi
12 years ago

Not only am I new to organic lawn care, I am also new to caring for my lawn at all. So I've been doing lots and lots of reading and I came upon the idea of making compost tea. But I've been wondering...why go through the trouble of making compost tea when you could just apply molasses directly to the lawn? Perhaps I'm missing something, so here is a quick summary of how I understand the two processes:

1. Compost Tea

Basically, you're creating a perfect environment where microbes can thrive and multiply. You then apply the microbe-rich water to the lawn and they do their thing.

Sounds easy enough, but the down side is that it takes planning. (i.e., it takes time to brew it, then you have a certain amount of time to apply it, you have to make sure you'll have the time to apply it when it's ready, will it be raining?, etc.)

2. Molasses applied directly to the lawn

Instead of creating a microbe-rich water, you give extra food to the microbes that are already in your lawn. They will multiply and do their thing. Assuming you have the molasses on hand, you can do this at any time.

So it seems that applying molasses is easier. And then there is the question of the amount of microbes and how much your lawn can support. Sure the compost tea has a high concentration of microbes, but won't most of them die pretty soon, to a level that is in line with what the lawn can support?

To summarize in one sentence, isn't it better (and easier) to feed the microbes that are already in my lawn than to introduce more than the lawn can support?

Thanks in advance for the help on this.

Comments (6)

Sponsored