SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asarum_gw

What cucumber diseases shorten your season?

asarum
16 years ago

I know it is very late in the season to be trying to figure this out. Every year I get cucumbers for a relatively short time and then the leaves and stems start yellowing because some diseases kicks in. Often some portions of the plant remain and produce some stunted fruit. Since I am always overly-ambitious and always have more on hand than I can fully manage, I just thought for the first couple of years that I had simply failed to water enough.

Since realizing that a disease process was at work, I have intended to get to the bottom of this. Yes, I should have tried harder to do this while I still had the dying plants in front of me. I think I did some preliminary searching, but failed to come to a conclusion, and now having devoted more time to this at the end of the season I still am not sure. This is not anthracnose, powdery mildrew or cucumber mosaic. Maybe it is bacterial wilt, but other things seem possible. Next year I will definitely make a point to look at the plants very thoroughly, but it occurred to me to check to see what diseases other New England gardeners have diagnosed.

Comment (1)