SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Trying to use organic care, think I made a mistake..help?

Hi,

I attempted last year to spread a very thin layer of composted cow manure on our lawn in the fall. I had to hire someone to do it and although I went out to suggest that it was a little heavy a couple of times, once it was finished, I thought it might be just a little too much.

Well, all the snow finally melted and the lawn is appearing patchy at the moment. I am getting a sinking feeling that too much was laid down and that I am going to see bare spots when it starts growing. It is not growing at all yet, since the past few days is the first time we have seen bare ground all winter. I am pretty disappointed, since the lawn was actually starting to fill in more and look pretty good before I added the compost. I don't want to make another mistake and make it worse. It won't just fill in on it's own will it?

Not thrilled to have made another job for myself, but what are you going to do. I still feel good about adding the composted cow manure and think it will work out in the end, but I also think I better do something about the bare spots before weeds invade. Has anyone had experience in having this problem? I am thinking I should overseed it, would that be right?

I am also thinking that if I have to buy grass seed, I might take this opportunity to add a mix that might give me a more natural short meadow kind of appearance? But if I mow regularly, is that practical? I was thinking of maybe mixing up my own seed mix, but don't know where to start to add something to the grass that will work out. We do mow regularly, but our grass is not a fast or tall grower. In the spring, I like to leave it long for awhile and I thought maybe I can add something that would flower at that time before I mow? We have mostly part shade. No real full sun areas.

Where do you buy grass seed and I am in New England and want something that doesn't grow too tall in part shade. Can you recommend a short grass seed to be the base of my mix and/or recommend any seed I can consider mixing with it?

I will try to get a photo later today...

Any and all ideas welcome.. :-) Thanks pm2

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery