SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

General hosta questions

bkay2000
13 years ago

I intend to plant a large hosta inground in the spring. I'm looking at Komodo Dragon. It hasn't been testing in our area that I am aware of. However, it's a progeny of Donahue Piecrust, which is a progeny of Montana, which is recommended as a group in warm climates. So, would this fall under the umbrella of "montana family"? I thought the big leaf of Komodo Dragon and it's texture would be really attractive. It's possible that it's too big for the spot, however. My hostas have never gotten as large as the book says, but I've always grown in pots. (My sum and substance is only abt. 36" wide, also in a pot.)

The recommended large varieties that have been tested are Guacomole which is not very tall, Royal Standard and Plantaginea, which are not very "showy". Blue Angel is also recommended, but mine didn't do well this year. It's also not very "showy". September Sun is recommended, but some of the photos look really yellow and it's not very tall either. That's my least favorite color in hosta.

Any other ideas?

AND another question. If Halcyon didn't do well in the trials, would you assume that June wouldn't do well either?

Bkay

Comments (8)