SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berryb_gardener

Newbie in Houston - St. Augustine questions

berryb_gardener
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I bought a house in the Heights area of Houston (Zone 9ish) a little over a year ago. The grass was in terrible shape, and as this is my first house, I didn't know what to do. After doing a little research, I decided to spend my limited garden budget on having the lawn professionally aerated (there was tons of thatch), and then I kept a good mowing schedule (high, every 5-7 days). The grass appeared to improve and the St. Augustine appeared to crowd out a few of the weeds.

This is my second year, and I'd like to do a little more. My husband and I are expecting a baby this summer, so we would very much like to garden organically...but are on an extremely limited budget. I've read so much here about different things to do, but I am thoroughly confused.

I would appreciate advice on any things you might recommend to someone who is just starting out an organic lawncare regimen. I know the non-organic calendars say to apply pre-emergent weed killers around now, and then to fertilize after the first mowing in march/april. What main things should we be doing? Are there any organic weedkillers we should apply? Our lawn is fairly large, so purchasing high quality compost seems to be a pretty big expense.

Thanks so much!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction