SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wheels05_gw

Drainage Solutions for Raised Beds

Wheels05
18 years ago

Hi,

I just recently read this book which got me all excited about building raised beds using sanding loam topped-off with a generous amount of compost. The author of this book writes that the loam should be stable once the compost is heaped on top. Furthermore, she advises against tilling-up the soil so as not to disturb the living biota. When I mentioned this to my loam supplier, he basically thought I was crazy and said that once the rain saturates that loam, it will begin to "leach-out." He initially suggested that I till the native soil to improve the drainage. Anyway, I didn't and now I'm wishing I had.

Well, it rained here a ton a few weeks ago and I've experienced lots of "leaching" and even more troubling is the fact the soil looks and acts more like mud pie than great soil. Until just recently, I couldn't even walk on my 8-12" of loam without sinking all the way down to my native soil and getting stuck. It's like quick sand! Anyway, I am not about to move all that loam and start all over so I am thinking that I will rent a gas-powered post hole digger and make holes about 2' deep through-out the raised beds to create better drainage. Am I on the right track? Thank you in advance!

Comments (3)